Oil change tips?

Moderator: Moderators

crushedlizard
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L2

Oil change tips?

Post by crushedlizard »

I'm about to change the oil and although it's possibly the easiest thing to do, I was wondering if there are any tips or tricks with the ZXR?

Is there a mesh filter or anything like that? Or is it simply a case of:

Filler Cap
Drain plug
Filter change
Plug
Fill (3.0l)

I know this sounds stupid - I've done countless oil changes on cars, but this is my first bike engine oil change so I don't want to miss anything out and f*** my engine. For instance, I intend to stab the filter with a screwdriver to remove it (unless I find my remover). Am I likely to stab through something important? I've never knwon this method to cause harm before, but then again I've never known that many engines!! :smt001

Cheers
deviant
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L3

Re: Oil change tips?

Post by deviant »

No different to anything else, I've screwdrivered the filter off before, although I've now bought a thing for getting lids off jars - very cheap and works better than the stupid chain filter wrench I had before (which was the reason for screwdrivering).

Getting the filter off is a bit awkward, just because of the fact it's on the front of the engine behind the downpipes - so be careful if you've warmed the engine to make the oil come out easier. Also you *will* drop oil on the downpipes which will smoke a bit afterwards.
In the garage:
Kawasaki ZXR400 L3 - shiny
Suzuki DR800 - bouncy
1978 Suzuki GS400 - PROJECT RETRO RACER!
Kawasaki GPz500S - for sale soon
Honda CG125 BR-J - in bits
crushedlizard
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L2

Post by crushedlizard »

Cheers. Didn't think there'd be anything special but I thought I may as well ask.

She purrs now and has lost her unnerving rattle. The sump plug was a bit of a toad to get off but a 5' improvised breaker bar sorted that!
Just for future reference - is there a trick to getting the crush washer off? Or do you just mangle them off?
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

wtf is a crush washer?
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
rover220
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zx7r p6

Post by rover220 »

masterofinsanity wrote:wtf is a crush washer?
copper washer, supposed to replace very time but no-one bothers. can juet haet them with a blowtorch and that makes them expand back to thier original size.