oil window

Moderator: Moderators

Chris1984
My Bike: zxr 400

oil window

Post by Chris1984 »

when bike is level should this window look full of oil or should it only show up half way,mine is full i have a feeling there is to much oil in the bike.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wabby
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400

Re: oil window

Post by Wabby »

Half way when level.

If you have it on a rear stand, you will need a front stand to make it 'level' though.

Cheers
Chris1984

Post by Chris1984 »

Wabby wrote:Half way when level.

If you have it on a rear stand, you will need a front stand to make it 'level' though.

Cheers
Thats what i was thinking,ill drop some out now.
Jamz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZX9-R C2

Post by Jamz »

There are actually 2 raised marks on each side of the window - anywhere between them is fine when upright.
Who needs tyres when you've got knees!! :twisted:

View my Blog: http://blog.myspace.com/nastyevilninja

Chris1984

Post by Chris1984 »

i have just droppe some oil out but when i start the bike it drops even further is this ok.
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

Chris1984 wrote:i have just droppe some oil out but when i start the bike it drops even further is this ok.
Yes once the bike is running looking at the window will tell you nothing as the oil is too busy doing it's job to have time to tell you what level it's at

Also having it on a rear stand when you check the level is fine you don't need to put it on a front stand as well....................the bike needs to be upright in one plane only (side to side).
Anywhere between the two little marks on the side of the window is fine.

When doing an oil and oil filter it takes about 3 liters..........................pour your oil in until you see it about half way between marks. put the filler cap back on and start the bike for a minute or so. Stop it and allow the oil to settle recheck the level and top up if neccessary.

Job done
Chris1984

Post by Chris1984 »

cargo wrote:
Chris1984 wrote:i have just droppe some oil out but when i start the bike it drops even further is this ok.
Yes once the bike is running looking at the window will tell you nothing as the oil is too busy doing it's job to have time to tell you what level it's at

Also having it on a rear stand when you check the level is fine you don't need to put it on a front stand as well....................the bike needs to be upright in one plane only (side to side).
Anywhere between the two little marks on the side of the window is fine.

When doing an oil and oil filter it takes about 3 liters..........................pour your oil in until you see it about half way between marks. put the filler cap back on and start the bike for a minute or so. Stop it and allow the oil to settle recheck the level and top up if neccessary.

Job done
Nice one thanks i've been riding around with way to much in,going for a spin now to say sorry to her.
DannyMcCann
My Bike: (1990) ZXR400H

Post by DannyMcCann »

Whats the consequences of too much oil? Apart from burning a bit off?
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

you can see the level marks here, the oil should be between the 2
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

DannyMcCann wrote:Whats the consequences of too much oil? Apart from burning a bit off?
good question and I don't know the answer not ever tried putting too much oil in I suppose you might end up with an oilly mess in the air box via the breather

depends on how much too much ???
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Isnt it possible to blow gaskets with too much oil? And doesnt it sometimes just burn off?
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

RedexRobB wrote:Isnt it possible to blow gaskets with too much oil? And doesnt it sometimes just burn off?
Unless you've got worn rings or leaky valve stem seals then no I don't think it would "just burn off"

I suppose there could be increased pressure within the gearbox/ crankcases which might blow an oil seal out and if the one in the water pump gave way you'd get oil in your water.
bendog66
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: ZXR400 L4, ZX6R F1 track

Post by bendog66 »

you get a load of oil in your airbox and it runs like toad