backfire!!!BANG!!

Moderator: Moderators

slysi90

backfire!!!BANG!!

Post by slysi90 »

BIKES been sitting for months with the ocaisional start up with no probs today day before it goes for mot it turns over wont start then does a MASSIVE backfire? what could be wrong any one else had this what can i do
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: backfire!!!BANG!!

Post by RedexRobB »

Sounds like you have flooded it, whip the plugs out and clean them up, should start on the button then!
slysi90

Post by slysi90 »

Ok Thanks i read this and took carbs off cleaned plugs and will buy some fresh petrol tommorow and give it a try cheers
tomzxr400
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by tomzxr400 »

have you done any work on it recently?
slysi90

Post by slysi90 »

Hi Thanks for the advice i have taken the carbs off replaced the plugs put new fuel in and was still back firing
after the 3rd attempt of removing cleaning and fitting the carbs i noticed the cdi unit under the seat was wet (the bike was in the garden for a week while the garage roof was beeing replaced,) took it off and dried the contacts on wire loom and cdi cleaned the carbs once again and put all back together started after a couple of turns and runs perfect must of been damp/wet cdi arking out sending wrong firing order to coils ect (maybe this has been of some help to any one having backfiring and banging noises from theres)
anyway great site and thanks for the advice. :smt006
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Glad to hear you got it sorted. Well spotted on the CDI too, could spend a long time on everything else and not think of that!
slysi90

Post by slysi90 »

thanks redX it was pure chance i spotted it as it all in protective rubber just luck but good to know for future
will be taking it for mot tommorow just hope examiner will be leaniant cause the exhaust can is very noisey and ive rounded the allen bolts off so cant get original back on he is a nice bloke so fingers crossed cheers again
si
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

let us know how you get on with the mot chap!
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
slysi90

Post by slysi90 »

will do :smt002
slysi90

Post by slysi90 »

The zxr passed mot no problems only one advisor that was for lose indicator (knocked it off on back gate on my way to mot)
I think i will sell it now i was going to use it as a track bike but its only got 16000 kms on it and runs pretty well considering its age just feels very wooden compared with my new r1 but then it would still im sure some one will enjoy it . will tax it tommorow and think seriously about selling it