New Bike, New Problems

Moderator: Moderators

Rau

New Bike, New Problems

Post by Rau »

Hey guys, can I invite anyone to hazard a guess as to what this problem might be.

I have retired my ZXR until summer as I give it a major overhaul (fairing, exaust engine tune ect) So i bought my mates Suzuki GSX750F (1990 model) as a nice commuter for work. I've had it just over a week now. Gave it a clean and a polish on sunday, along with a new chain and battery (he hadn't used it in nearly 6 months).

When I rode back from my parents that night, a couple of times it seemed as if the fuel line was slightly blocked and the bike was starving for fuel (lack of power) in with the clutch and take it to about 7-8k revs and it cleared and ran fine. Over the next couple of days it was happening a little more frequently, so I banged a bit of Redex in there to see if I could clear it, allthough by this stage I was starting to get a little less suspicious of the fuel line, just due to the random times the problem was occuring. Now today on the way to work, it fired up fine, I went to the petrol station and gave it a full tank and the SOAB just wouldn't start! turning over fine, just not firing. Managed to get it started by running it on prime for a min or two, but now the problem is constant. It has no power under 4k revs, and I mean no power, it just chuggs along. It cuts out when idling at lights unless I keep the revs around 3-4k, it has no power, is backfiring occasionally and generally just sounds and feels like its running on diesal! (No i didn't fill it with diesal! :) )

Does anyone thing this is a fuel line problem, or could it be a plug that isn't firing properly (or at all now!) or could it be something a lot more serious.

All comments and advice welcome

P.s. Stick with your ZXR's!! :)

Cheers guys
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: New Bike, New Problems

Post by RedexRobB »

fuel pump?
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

check the fuel filter, drain the carbs, this will at least tell you fuel is getting through then check your plugs.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
Rau

Post by Rau »

Was going to drain the carbs anyway. Where abouts will the fuel filter be located? any idea's, I'm told it will take a week or more for my local guy to get the manual in for me.

Is it unlikely to be the plugs then?

Cheers guys
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

manuals are on this site mate.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

not for a gsx750f they arent baz :lol:
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

Rau

Post by Rau »

Cheers Guys!

The manual on the site isn't working! Doh! any other sites along those lines your aware of?
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin