Need a zxr expert!

Moderator: Moderators

russwhite

Need a zxr expert!

Post by russwhite »

Hi everybody, im new to this site, im the proud owner of a zx6r and have recently managed to pursuade the mrs to get the hell off the back of my bike and onto her own! just bought her a zxr400l 1991, it seems to be running very rich.

It has a real flat spot between 3,000 and 5,000revs which you have to ease off the throttle to get through. on the way home from picking it up i did approx 60miles and needed to fill the tank up again.
I think the guy i bought it off was preparing it for the track. ive had the airbox off and it looks like i have 3 redish coloured needles and one gold one, also when reving the engine they all move at different lenghts.
I think im gonna get the carbs set up properly but im just wandering if anyone can give me a clue where the fuel/air mixture screws are and maybe a pic??? cant see the anywhere.

also i had a look at one of the red needles and it seems to have different settings, the clip is on the last notch which i guess again makes it alot richer.

Any help appeciated, you must be able to get more than 60miles out of a tank!!
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Re: Need a zxr expert!

Post by masterofinsanity »

Hi, welcome to the site, you should get at least 100 miles to a full tank, 100 - 125 is the norm, jesus i get more than 60 on my gix, hereis an exploded drawing of the carbs, & don't forget to check out the manuals.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Post by zimm »

hi,

stock zxr needles arent adjustable, so if yours have grooves and circlips they are dynojet/F1 needles, be worth checking what main jets are in there too if the needles etc have been altered.

if its got a stock filter/exhaust on it, get some stock carbs, anything else will pretty much bugger things up.
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

Both my race ZXRs have Honda needles in the carbs ???????????????
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Post by zimm »

cargo wrote:Both my race ZXRs have Honda needles in the carbs ???????????????

what from ?
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

zimm wrote:
cargo wrote:Both my race ZXRs have Honda needles in the carbs ???????????????

what from ?
NO idea

I only discovered found out after the bikes were on the Dyno at the Manx last year and Robbie the dyno told me...........

They look like "onda needles or sumat"

I think standard needles can be adjusted using little washers but only to lift the needle.................

Robbie got me a tiny bit more out of both bikes so I reckon he knows what hes on about
jake
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by jake »

interesting. Next time you have them in bits cargo, try and get a wee picture, or note the number.Can you recall what the profile was like?
We tried a lot of needles from h1,h1sp,h2,l4, dynojet and some random ones. but they where all still a margin rich in the middle. So a different bikes needles sounds like its doing the trick on yours.
Russwhite, that sounds a bit weird with 3 the same and one different...if they all look the exactly the same profile and taper, then you might be ok with them. Make sure the clip is on the uppermost position.The aircorrector screws are, if you are sitting on the bike, at the back of the carbs, underneith the floatbowls...i find it easier to take them off to adjust tbh.

have you had a look at your plugs?