ZXR400 Stuttering at low revs....

Moderator: Moderators

jimmy-newzxr

ZXR400 Stuttering at low revs....

Post by jimmy-newzxr »

Hi everyone put a post up about 3 months ago bought a zxr400 H1 for £600 from ebay... anyway turned out to be a bit of a dog. Dropped it off at my local friendly garage and left it there to sort out. anyway 2 months later and £800 lighter the bike has basically been rebuilt. Brakes all sorted, front forks all done, head bearing, head gasket had gone so full top overhaul, new wheels (secondhand) front and back, new tyres..... and the list goes on and on....

anyway got it baack today with a nice new shiny MOT well chuffed.. took her for a spin tonight and noticed she is stuttering at low revs, when its idling it is running sweet revs fine all the way up, but between 2-5 thousand rpm its stutters quite a lot untill it hits 5 and a half then takes off which is nice.. Now the bike has been standing for a good 4 months so maybe she needs a good riding up the motorway or something??? i have a feeling it may be fueling though. Any help would be great.... thanks again
MillaMeter
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: K ZXR400 L2, H Rebel 125

Re: ZXR400 Stuttering at low revs....

Post by MillaMeter »

Hi,

First of all, I had this problem myself and resolved it playing with the carbs.
Before you start playing though there's a couple of things you should check.

1. Check that all intake rubbers are not torn, ripped, perished or leaking air.
2. Check that the airbox is not blocked with crud, dead flies etc...
3. Check and if you can, clean the air filter.
4. Check that the carbs are balanced.
5. Check that all the slides in the carb inlets move freely up and down and go fully to the top.

If you've checked all these and still having problems, it could be that the carbs are set too rich. If this is the case, take the tank off and turn the mixture screws in/clockwise 1/2 a turn on each carb and take the bike out for a spin and see if it improves.

Hope this helps.

Rich
MillaMeter's ZXR400 Restoration Click HERE!
ZXR400s 4eva! I miss mine already :(