Problems with my H1.... please help!!

Moderator: Moderators

jimmy-newzxr

Re: Problems with my H1.... please help!!

Post by jimmy-newzxr »

well first of all no the bike wasnt riden it was dropped off in a van due to the gear lever and footpeg is snapped, but the bike still has 6 months mot and 6 months tax left on it so its been on the road reasonably recently. second of all by giving it a once over i mean checking standard item ie plugs, filters, i also took the air box off and had a look in the carbs but didnt take them out or anything? they looked clean. That was it. I bought the bike i knew it was gonna need work so thats fine i can live with that, i am sure this problem is just something niggly which is being a nightmare to find. My mate is gonna help me balance the carbs tonight and i am gonna try the fuel pump too. And if thats to no avail i will take it down to my garage, i was trying not too because this was meant to a project for me to learn but running out of ideas.

Can i balance the carbs with 2 gauges or do i need a four gauge set up. Just i think my mate has only got two due to him having a twin. Thanks

Jimmy
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

yeah you can do it with only two gauges, just have to balance cylinder 1 & 2 first, swap to 3 & 4 then 2 & 3. Make sure you block up the vaccum points while your swapping around. Its easier with a 4 guage setup, just takes longer with 2.

Good luck :smt001
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

Yes good luck with it.....................................
and get back to us when you get it sorted out :smt001
jimmy-newzxr

Post by jimmy-newzxr »

Cheers for all your help so far though guys will keep you all updated and fingers crossed can do it myself!!

Jimmy
mexican jose`

Post by mexican jose` »

probly a stupid question but did you check if the choke is sticking open?
you said the choke cable was snapped so if the choke is not fully closing it will run rich.
jimmy-newzxr

Post by jimmy-newzxr »

RESULT!!!!!!!!!!!! :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003

Had a word with my mate hes a bit of a boff he said someone had been mucking about with the fuel/air mixture ratios and it was running rediculously rich, so now its running perfect smooth up to 11,500 on tick over cant rev any higher for the min coz its pretty loud. but after running for half an hour or so noticed i was getting a lot of steam out of rad cap, so flushed the system a couple of times and cleaned the pipe from the rad to the exp bottle was loads of crap in there. ran her up again and this time it started coming out of the expansion bottle? So i am thinkin maybe head gasket but the only thing is the temp gauge was still only on just over cold when it was doing this so could this be a block in the system (air/crap), also only running on water too and i guess with a mixture of coolant will drop the boiling temp too.. any help please reply.

Thanks again for your help!!

Jimmy
rover220
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zx7r p6

Post by rover220 »

thatll most likely be the headgasket, they can overheat while still reading cold on the gauge
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

yeah its possible, although if its a cold day and the bike has been running the coolant is bound to steam slightly in cold air. But get a compression test to confirm :smt001
rover220
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zx7r p6

Post by rover220 »

RedexRobB wrote:yeah its possible, although if its a cold day and the bike has been running the coolant is bound to steam slightly in cold air. But get a compression test to confirm :smt001
shouldnt be any steam as it should be a sealed system.

firstly though, id replace the rad cap, get a genuine kawaski part though i got one that looked identical from halfords but it didnt fit properly. £17 from cradley and they usualy get it delivered very quickly.
jake
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by jake »

the fuel/air mixture ratio's, running rich eh? :smt002 :smt002

glad you gettin somewhere with it, bugger about the next problem, but good your onto it chopper
jimmy-newzxr

Post by jimmy-newzxr »

Cheers for the help guys where can i get a compression kit from?? I take it, it just goes in where the spark plugs go and has a dial on the end?? any help would be great....

also anyone know any decent paint shops down portsmouth/hampshire way???

jimmy
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

compression testers from halfords or ebay.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

rover220 wrote:
RedexRobB wrote:yeah its possible, although if its a cold day and the bike has been running the coolant is bound to steam slightly in cold air. But get a compression test to confirm :smt001
shouldnt be any steam as it should be a sealed system.
Oh hang on, the rad cap on the radiator or off? or was it coming out from underneath it? :smt017 got the impression hed taken it off.
jimmy-newzxr

Post by jimmy-newzxr »

Right just finished fo the night on the bike and good news is i dont think its the head gasket, managed to borrow some compression gauges off my mate and got the following readings, 92,98,99,120 PSI. Which according to handbook is around the right ball park (99-156 PSI) so that a relief. So ran the bike up again and still getting some coolant/steam coming from under the cap so it must be the cap thats faulty? i filled up with 2.3L of 50-50 coolant mix as in book and still getting steam. So gonna order a new cap tomorrow. But got tomorrow off so gonna finish the brakes off and start on trying to sort out the fairings coz some cracks need filling repairing...anyone got any tips of repairing fairings or best way to do it?? just a few cracks/chips etc... is it best to use glass fibre or filler??

Thanks for your help.

Jimmy
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

in this damp cold weather when the bike warms up you're gonna get steam off any bike!
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.