Electrical Probs?

Moderator: Moderators

diesel
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Zx7r

Electrical Probs?

Post by diesel »

ok i know i keep doin this but the zx7r forums are a bit slow on dial up lol so ill ask you guys for help. :)

my bike was running weird. ill try and explain. i could go 20-30 miles round trip with not so much as a murmur. other days i cant even get to my daughters school which is 2 miles away. i thought i was a fuelling prob as it seemed to miss on one or two cylinders and run really rough unless i pinned the throttle and once it got to about 6-7000 rpm she would shoot off. ( not with my daughter on the back obviously ). i also tried pulling the choke on and the is a very slight clean spot then back to how it was. so me thinking maybe idle jets etc so i stripped them down the other day and blew them out with my comp. put it all back together and turned her over and she wouldnt start for love nor money. a good ten mins of turning over before the battery started to die. not so much as en effort to start,. as it happens i have abrand new in the box battery for my mates zzr600 in my house so i thought id try that. wired it up an pressed the starter button an she started instantly. i mean split second instantly.

now, could my battery be causing the rough running? what about the regulator/rectifier? how would i test the battery for dead cells? how would i test the rectifier. as its a zx7r the giraffe thing is incorporated in the alternator.

no alarm or immobiliser. got rid of those and got a f*** off huge chain and a big rottweiler :)

any ideas all.

sorry for using the 400 forums baz but the ppl on here are quick to reply and know toad loads. :smt006

thanks all.
Quicker Than Yngwie

diesel
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Re: Electrical Probs?

Post by diesel »

quick update. i know its only been a few mins lol. well just went to start the bike and she wouldnt start.. so i hooked up my mates battery via jump leads and she started. let her idle till she ran with the choke off, removed the jump leads and turned her off. all lights off and turned her over and she started. turned her off. put headlights on she wont start. turn lights off she started. turned her off put lights on, she wont start. im sure you get the picture lol. does that help ?
Quicker Than Yngwie

SOILZX
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr 400

Post by SOILZX »

Reg/rec testing will be the same, check voltage whilst running/loaded up etc. Voltage faults can cause all sorts of problems. If you think your battery could be faulty, i would test the charging circuit with a decent battery on. I'm not sure on test for the battery itself, i always use battery testers. Not a great deal of information, but i hope it helps in some way, let us know how you get on

SOILZX
I BRAKE FOR CAKE!!
Definitive mechanics toolkit: A hammer and a condom,
If it can't be fixed with a hammer, f*** it!!
parby81
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L9

Post by parby81 »

have you tried riding with the lights off once started. see if that helps. could be a short in the lighting circuit somewhere
These things are sent to try us!!
diesel
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by diesel »

yep i have. altho what ill do tomorro is try and start her with my battery and lights on. if no luck ill use jump leads. get her started. remove leads. restart with lights off. the restart with lights on if that dont start ill do the same again with jump leads. see how it goes from there.
Quicker Than Yngwie

lewisdale
CBT slow
CBT slow
My Bike: zxr400 H2

Post by lewisdale »

i take it you have done all the usual checks on wiring connections, checked the ht leads etc?
diesel
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by diesel »

tbh no. i dunno where to start. but havinbg to use a jumper battery is maybe a heads up to the prob. my mate says rectifier. i did battery checks and they seemed fine. would a dodgy rectifier stop the bike starting cleanly tho?
Quicker Than Yngwie

lewisdale
CBT slow
CBT slow

Post by lewisdale »

i wouldnt have thought so mate, my 400 started up without it even plugged in, it could just be coincidence about the batt pack and starting better, even if youre batt was fooked it would still run ok when started and not run rough intermittently
diesel
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by diesel »

so u think battery lewisdale? i know i sound dumb ( bearing in mind i did a full strip and rebuild of the engine ) but im having a blonde moment. week. month lol
Quicker Than Yngwie

lewisdale
CBT slow
CBT slow

Post by lewisdale »

to be honest i dont think it is the battery for one reason, and that is that once the bike is started, whether the battery is knackered or not it should always run fine, not play up and missfire etc
thats my opinion,
but on the other hand it may be worth borrowing youre mates battery for a few days and see what happens, seeing as you have it handy
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Post by zimm »

sounds like a combination of a weak battery, a short in the headlight circuit (probs an earth thats fallen off) and maybe a spot of carb icing on top.. its playing havoc with my renault 5 atm :(

dead* charging circuits normally mean the bike doesnt like high revs and will start to stutter at progressively lower rpm as the battery discharges to the point where its incapable of keeping up with the demands of the ignition system and it ... stops.

* same whether the reg/rec's failed/unplugged or removed a' la total loss race system.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

have you done any checks on the rectifier Diesel? With the 400 you obviously run the engine and stick the meter across the battery, id assume its the same with the ZX7. May have accumulated some water in one of the connector blocks or perhaps chaffed some cable though frm a moving part like the fork legs. Check that wiring over.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

get yourself a multimeter across the battery and tell us voltages :-

v with bike switched off
v with bike idling all lights off
v with bike idling lights on
v with bike at 4000rpm lights off
v with bike at 4000rpm lights on
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
diesel
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by diesel »

sorry for the delay guys. ok, i sorted the prob. after looking at prices for new rectifiers and batteries i decided to bite the bullet and splash the cash. on a nut for the battery terminal bolt as the other one had come off. all sorted. dont i feel a Camel lol :wanker
Quicker Than Yngwie

lewisdale
CBT slow
CBT slow

Post by lewisdale »

:pmsl :pmsl :pmsl :pmsl oldman :rant