ZXR400 has NO power

Moderator: Moderators

markmac1978
My Bike: ZXR400L

ZXR400 has NO power

Post by markmac1978 »

Can ne 1 help.

The bike has been put away for the winter and when i took it out to try it i have got no power at all.

The Nutral and oil lights come on but touch the starter or ne other button and they go away and nothing happens.

The is a slight buzzing noise from the engine/startor area of the bike, but it goes away when i dissconnect a brown wire which is located under the air box at the front end of the bike.

I need help as the nice weather is coming i hope and need to sort the problem

Pls can anyone help

Thanks Markmac
lewisdale
CBT slow
CBT slow
My Bike: zxr400 H2

Re: ZXR400 has NO power

Post by lewisdale »

have you checked whether or not the battery is fully charged and connections are good?
Wabby
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400

Post by Wabby »

I did this also....

Fucking n00b I am - Neutral switch had gone a bit iffy - Was defo in gear. lol
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

sounds like a dead battery or dodgy earth.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
parby81
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L9

Post by parby81 »

surely this shouldn't be in "know your stuff"?

Baz, can you move it to starting and running problems or somewhere appropriate. cheers
These things are sent to try us!!
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

parby81 wrote:surely this shouldn't be in "know your stuff"?

Baz, can you move it to starting and running problems or somewhere appropriate. cheers

Moved :smt002
markmac1978

Post by markmac1978 »

Have 2 fully charged batterys, 1 brand new.

I have the bike stripped down as far as the engine and can hear the buzzing when i turn the iginiton on, there is a brown cable beside the spark plugs and when i disconnect that it stops buzzing. Does not stop if i dissconnect any other connections.

Does anyone know when all the earth cables are connected to as i can only find 1 and i think online it says there is 3.

The bike was running great before the winter spell and i think this must be just a small problem but i aint got ne eletrical training.

Thanks to all on this who help i will try all sugestions
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

Are you getting the buzzing when you turn the ignition on like when you turn the key ?
Or is it when you press the starter button ?

The classic starter problem is a flat battery and the classic symptom is a click or buzzing sound from the starter relay.
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

As well as the block connecter there is a single brown wire leading from the ignition switch (key)..............I think thats the one you are looking for.

I'm useless at wiring stuff but it looks like its something to do with the starter circuit
markmac1978

Post by markmac1978 »

cargo wrote:Are you getting the buzzing when you turn the ignition on like when you turn the key ?
Or is it when you press the starter button ?

The classic starter problem is a flat battery and the classic symptom is a click or buzzing sound from the starter relay.
Its a buzzing when i turn the key then nothing when i press the startor. The lights then just go dim and nothing happening.

I am working the next 4 days so will try all the sugestions as soon as i can and get back and hopefully i can find the problem and get the thing started. :smt017
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

Sounds very strange....................my best guess is that you have a faulty starter relay or maybe a fault in the starter button/switch
markmac1978

Post by markmac1978 »

It is very strange caquse i had only about 3 weeks ago took the cover off, connected the battery and pressed the button and the thing started with out a problem, I am stumped as to what is wrong with this bike at the moment. The only thing that was wrong before i put the bike away for winter was it was draining the battery while i was riding it, With the lights on it drained the battery. Not had much time to look at this problem so does ne one think this might be connected, I did have a go at fixing the problem and last time i started the bike i thought it was ok but now im unable to start it.

:smt017
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

markmac1978 wrote:It is very strange caquse i had only about 3 weeks ago took the cover off, connected the battery and pressed the button and the thing started with out a problem, I am stumped as to what is wrong with this bike at the moment. The only thing that was wrong before i put the bike away for winter was it was draining the battery while i was riding it, With the lights on it drained the battery. Not had much time to look at this problem so does ne one think this might be connected, I did have a go at fixing the problem and last time i started the bike i thought it was ok but now im unable to start it.

:smt017

We're going in circles here because now we're back to flat battery which to be honest is still the mostly likely answer

Have you checked the voltage ? ? ?

Here's a thought...............try bump starting it at least that way you might get it running
markmac1978

Post by markmac1978 »

Still Looking for some help on this matter, Ive not had much time and the weather has been so crap ive just not got round to looking at this problem.

The main problem is I am getting no power once i turn the key to start the bike, The oil and netural lights do not light up and i cannot start the bike as there is nothing when i press the startor, I am unsure what the problem is and would like to know what the main problem could be with regards to no power getting from my battery. The battery is fine and have 2 both have sufficant voltage, and they have both started other bikes so i know they both work fine.

This is getting annoying as i need to get this matter sorted ASAP and im sure it will be something so simple i will kick myself when i finally get it going.
BrianZXR
My Bike: zxr400h2

Post by BrianZXR »

check all your conections from ignition key ,sounds like you have a loose conection somewhere or a bad earth