Winter has killed my bike

Moderator: Moderators

Dave_ZXR
My Bike: ZXR400L

Winter has killed my bike

Post by Dave_ZXR »

Hello all,

after a brutal winter I've run into some problems.
I must admit I was quite bad in going out and giving it a run but it did get a few.

All of a sudden the damn thing wont idle.
It goes like this, Start it on the choke and it runs ok if a little high for my liking till warm, off choke and it idles and 1.5k
touch the throttle and it shoots to 3kish and will sit there for about 15 seconds then it will fall steadly to about 2.5 for a few seconds
then probably about 1k for a few seconds before finally cutting out.

I've played with the idle and it seems no matter where I put it, the damn thing will idle as when and where it pleases.

Although it seems normalish over 6k its still very hesitant and lumpy.

when it does eventually let me down whilst warm and cut out she refuses to start unless on full choke and about half throttle (full throttle and no choke it wont start)

today I took the plugs out and checked the ht leads, all seems well (plugs a bit dark cleaned them up) and i've put them back.
Sprayed carb cleaner on all the bits of carb i could see (didnt remove as its starting to rain :smt013 )
new fuel filter just for luck.
2 full bottles of redex and some high octane fuel
2 days of ragging it around

it seems slighty better but on the whole she feels broken.
I will whip the carbs off and dump a whole tin of carb cleaner if required, I was hoping you guys would have some other suggestions on what and where to look for other ideas beacause I'm stumpped.

L9
K&N filter
SS downpipes
Beowulf can
8k miles
Set of like for like carbs from flea bay as my old ones were doing that dumping all the fuel out of the overflow thing.
It ran like an absolute dream last summer
the rest is standard to my knowledge

Any help or advice welcome!

Cheers
Dave
lewisdale
CBT slow
CBT slow
My Bike: zxr400 H2

Re: Winter has killed my bike

Post by lewisdale »

sounds like a air leak, give the carbs a good clean and at the same time reseal the inlet rubbers
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Re: Winter has killed my bike

Post by masterofinsanity »

first thing i would do is replace the plugs for new ones.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.