Not supposed to use choke at all?

Moderator: Moderators

martin
My Bike: ZXR400 L5

Not supposed to use choke at all?

Post by martin »

Hi

I have had a GPZ600R 1995. A ZXR750 1994. A Zx9R 1998 and now I have a 1995/96 ZXR400.

On all my Kawasaki's prior to the 400 I have yanked the choke on max. Started it while I yanked the throttle and then lowered the choke as the idle went sky high.

On the ZXR400 it seems as it is not supposed to have any choke at all. I will change the spark plugs yet again as they are probably black now as it will not start. This happend on the last spark plugs too.

When I have changed them I will try to not use choke at all even if the bike has been sitting for momths.

Is this normal? No choke at all?

The bike is okey. No power below 4200rpm. But normal above. That is the ZXR400 way I guess. But I have no issues with it other than this new way of starting the ZXR400 compared to the other Kawasaki's I have had.

Regards
Martin Bergvill
Kawasaki Zx9R-98 sold, Honda NSX Sebring Silver, Suzuki GSX-R1000 K2 racebike for sale, L5 ZXR400. Honda Civic SI some time
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Re: Not supposed to use choke at all?

Post by cargo »

It matters not how you start it just so long as it actually starts :smt002
martin

Post by martin »

cargo wrote:It matters not how you start it just so long as it actually starts :smt002
Hi

I know. But I have destroyed two sets of spark plugs now as I thought it needed choke to start when it was cold. But it seems that it does not need choke at all.

So how do you start your ZXR 400 then? Is my ZXR400 normal?

Regards
Martin Bergvill
Kawasaki Zx9R-98 sold, Honda NSX Sebring Silver, Suzuki GSX-R1000 K2 racebike for sale, L5 ZXR400. Honda Civic SI some time
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Post by CaNsA »

IU use a 1/3 choke and hit the starter. fires straight up, then i ease the choke off slowly.
let it idle @ 1500 for a few mins and give it a couple of gentle blips.

all is good
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

maybe your choke cable needs adjusting?
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
martin

Post by martin »

masterofinsanity wrote:maybe your choke cable needs adjusting?
Hi

I changed the spark plugs today and saw your reply before I went out and did that. I checked the choke cable and everything is okey. The cable is "loose" when the choke is off.

So I guess I have just have to get used to put it to 1/3 and not 3/3 as I used to do before on all my Kawasaki's.

I will put the bike together tomorrow and try to start it up. I am sure that it will be fine.

Regards
Martin Bergvill
Robbie
My Bike: zxr400

Post by Robbie »

Jetting?
martin

Post by martin »

Robbie wrote:Jetting?
Hi

Yes I could of course do that. But then again the bike works just fine on every rpm. As I wrote above here somewhere it does not have much power below 4200rpm. But that is how our little jewel works.

So I just need to learn not to use more than 1/3 choke when I start it and I will be fine.

Regards
Martin Bergvill
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

CaNsA wrote:IU use a 1/3 choke and hit the starter. fires straight up, then i ease the choke off slowly.
let it idle @ 1500 for a few mins and give it a couple of gentle blips.

all is good
Pretty much how i start mine, although i use about half choke. I think it will vary from bike to bike tho due to age etc...
parby81
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L9

Post by parby81 »

also depends how cold!!! You are in norway so how we start our bikes here choke wise might not apply where you are. Trial and error my friend.
For me in the sunny south of england, I have it barely at a third, and can knock off pretty much straight away and the revs will hold at 1k, any more choke and she doesn't want to start .
These things are sent to try us!!
markzxr400l3
My Bike: ZXR400H2 GSXR750

Post by markzxr400l3 »

I reckon they must all be different, mine wont start with even a hint of choke now that I've changed the exhaust can but runs like a dream. When it had a different end can it needed 1/3 choke just like everyone else. So even something as simple as a minor mod will have quite an effect on how these little carbies deliver the fuel to a cold cylinder.

Things like valve clearances and pilot screw settings would be the major contributers I would reckon.