Running problems.

Moderator: Moderators

Sherdog
My Bike: Zxr 400 l4 1994

Running problems.

Post by Sherdog »

this i strange.. but i can drive like 10-20minuts at 60mph straight and then my bike just cut like "whomm" and dies. but its almoste just to hit the start buton and it runs again.. i have just changed the air,fule and oil filters and new spark plugs, valve clerance and timming chain... its not hot on the temp guage. but still sometimes it just dies.. any ideas??
Ps it was raining but i dont think it is that simpel , but i hope im wrong.. and sry 4 the bad english... im norwegian..:P
parby81
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L9

Re: Running problems.

Post by parby81 »

cuts out at 60mph or when you come down to idle after the 10-20 minute ride?
These things are sent to try us!!
Sherdog

Post by Sherdog »

at 60, thats the wierd part.. almost like water in the gasoline , exept no water, :P runing at 5500rpm.. an a "whomm" then i pull in the clutch and it dies.. stops and hit the starter and it runsagain..
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Post by zimm »

is it cold there ?

sounds like carb icing
Sherdog

Post by Sherdog »

5-9 celsius... :S so i doubt its iceing... going 4 a test run this evning to see if it hapens again and if it does i will check copresion ,spark plugs, carbs, clean the tank inside and refill it(there is new fule in it but dindt clean it but its not dirty thou.......) .. dont know it makes anny sence but i have no good ideas, and my locak bike dude aslo think its weird. only thing that makes sence is if there is wather in the fule.. but im confident that there is no water there...
parby81
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by parby81 »

well you could put a cap of methylated spirits in the tank as this allows fuel and water to mix and so any water in the tank would be burnt off.

secondly, you say no to carb icing but if its 5-9 celsius, add wind chill to the speed you are going and you could find it has carb icing. You could add an additive to see if this prevents it happening or see about getting a set of carbs with the carb heaters on (don't know if your bike has them, you haven't said.)
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Post by zimm »

3 - 10 ' celsius and anything over 40% humidity is "ideal" conditions for carb icing ..

it actually disappears as the temperature drops below 3'C as the ability of the cold air to carry water is diminished.

if your bike doesnt have the (uk spec) carb heaters, it'll be icing up.. slightly rich mixture exacerbates the problem.
Sherdog

Post by Sherdog »

ok... i have seriusly tryd everithing in my mind now 4 this problem.. it is not carb iceing, the tank has been cleend and the filters checkt the plug wires and the fule pump.every fule hose has bean checkt if its a bend ore pluged... thers semes like there is nothing wrong , so what the hell coud this problem be? blown head gasket? broken piston rings ? ... any sugjestiongs that make sense ill be thank full..
kawaman
My Bike: zxr750

Post by kawaman »

Like Zimm, Tº inside the carbs is a lot lower than outside Tº because of air intake speed (higher when throttle half opened) and fuel spraying, thus humidity could freeze easily if your carb heating system doesn't work properly. Check this issue before all!

Sometimes the pick-up sensor or CDI could make this kind of failure, but then once it fails it needs some time to cool down and the engine won't starts again immediately.
Did you check if it does the same when it is not raining?
Sherdog

Post by Sherdog »

problem solved.. it was the module down white the cam chain sproket , like the magnet plate and the sensor .. changed it and now its working properly.. tnx 4 the feed back.. but carb iceing? i have never had that problem whit anything, mopeds cars , bikes.. and i dont have the uk heaters on my zxr.. i dont know if the humidity her is low or high but il keep in minde that it can happen, so i leard somthing new by that.. :)
parby81
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by parby81 »

pickup sensor that is called mate. They can break down when hot, then when cool down a bit start working again. Out of interest, how much did a new one cost you?
Sherdog

Post by Sherdog »

about 82£ ... not cheep.. but if i had bought it in norway it will cost me like 120£ so 4 me 82£ from cmsnl.com isn^t that bad..
kawaman
My Bike: zxr750

Post by kawaman »

Sherdog wrote:problem solved.. it was the module down white the cam chain sproket , like the magnet plate and the sensor .. changed it and now its working properly.. tnx 4 the feed back.. but carb iceing? i have never had that problem whit anything, mopeds cars , bikes.. and i dont have the uk heaters on my zxr.. i dont know if the humidity her is low or high but il keep in minde that it can happen, so i leard somthing new by that.. :)
Happy you found out your problem...
About icing carbs, on bikes equipped with Ram-air induction it is a very important issue, a lot less with normally aspirated engines... but it can happens, I experienced it on my ZXR750 (1989, without Ram-air) running at 3/4 rpm range & mid load!