Idle mix screw in high heat and humidity

Moderator: Moderators

bengone1
My Bike: 1994 ZXR400

Idle mix screw in high heat and humidity

Post by bengone1 »

I picked up and installed the UK cams and carbs. I am currently running into an annoying problem. I have been searching what to set the idle screws to. It seems a lot of you have 2.5 turns, the manual says 1.5 or 1.75. I started with 2.5. The bike would cut out when it got up to full temp. I tried going down turns 1.75 to 1.5. This did not help unless no choke was my goal!

Currently the weather has been Killer. 90 degrees and tons of humidity. Should I be running over 2.5 turns on the screws to keep it running at temp? I am hoping someone can chime in from another region suffering miserable temps.
parby81
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L9

Re: Idle mix screw in high heat and humidity

Post by parby81 »

to be honest, in that sort of heat, next to no choke should be the goal, maybe a tad on startup but then knocked off pretty quick. Warmer air is thinner, therefore less petrol req'd. Mine is set at 1 and 3/4's and we've got 30C today (86F) and it starts on the button with no choke, and revs fine when warm. Is the exhaust and air filter stock?
These things are sent to try us!!
bengone1

Post by bengone1 »

Stock exhaust with K&N air filter. The temps I imagine are close but I thought maybe the high humidity could have an effect. If I keep the idle set at 2k it has no problems. Idling in traffic it gets to the 3/4 bar on the temp gauge.
parby81
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L9

Post by parby81 »

Bikes are generally set up a bit rich to quieten them and get through any testing at certain points in the rev range. With the K & N you are allowing it to breathe in mnore easily but with a stock exhaust it can't breathe out properly. We've had lots of people on here mention bad things about the K&N air filter even when matched with an aftermarket exhaust, so with the standard can, I'm not suprised you're having issues.
Is the "snorkel" still in with the K&N? I'd try going for the standard air filter and see what difference that makes.
These things are sent to try us!!
bengone1

Post by bengone1 »

I firmly believe in using factory parts for most things. This bike will have a lot of exceptions. I cannot get OE parts very easy as this model was not shipped to the US. The snorkel is in. I doubt Kawasaki would put it in there for the hell of it.

What sort of problems were you running into with the K&N? Any work arounds? I would be surprised to find this bike cannot be made to idle with an aftermarket filter.Thanks for the input.

I guess this is a great excuse for an aftermarket can... I was just going to wait till I wrecked it a few times!
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

I dont think there anything necessarily bad about the K&N air filter, i think its just a case of the standard one is good enough on its own that even racers stick with them.
bengone1

Post by bengone1 »

I really didn't expect any performance out of it. I just wanted a filter that was serviceable and didn't need to be shipped overseas. I guess I will keep poking it with a stick until it runs when hot.
bengone1

Post by bengone1 »

You know it just occurred to me that the Tach may be off a few hundred RPMs when hot. I will check that as well.