wont start first time >:-(

Moderator: Moderators

bsrhkr
My Bike: ZXR400 L9

wont start first time >:-(

Post by bsrhkr »

hello people! how're u all? hope u'r all good!
ok heres another annoying problem and im hoping that u can help me :smt003 yh, bike wont start first time on the button when i leave it over night. i have to push the start button 3-4 times for about 3 seconds each time and then it'll run fine. i do have to let half the throttle open when i start it. 1 day i got all the plugs out and cleaned them and put them back in and the day after it started first time on the button, and after that it was doin the same thing again. im not sure about the battery either. so any ideas will be great! cheers :smt001
rover220
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zx7r p6

Re: wont start first time >:-(

Post by rover220 »

sooty plugs, overfuelling? too much choke being used?
bsrhkr

Post by bsrhkr »

rover220 wrote:sooty plugs, overfuelling? too much choke being used?
sooty plugs probably :S but how is it overfuelling if i need to give it a bit of throttle everytime i wanna start it? and i use no choke at all. cheers tho!
extonyg
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr 400 L1 uk

Post by extonyg »

how does it start with choke?
it does sound like overfuelling/running rich because by opening the throttle you are letting more air in which overcomes the too much fuel and helps it start.
i think i have read somewhere about float valves leaking when bike is left for a while letting fuel drip into the cylinder making them harder to start..........
bsrhkr

Post by bsrhkr »

it doesnt make it better when the choke is on :s it takes alot longer and i dont really wanna try it cos it might kill the battery. and yea that makes sense it could be over fuelling. do i just need to adjust it properly? and where can i adjust it from ? i had a look at the fuel problems section but didnt get any decent info abt it. thanks for the help so far tho :smt001
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

did you set the gaps properly when you cleaned them?

Aso have you tried with just choke and no throttle.
bsrhkr

Post by bsrhkr »

RedexRobB wrote:did you set the gaps properly when you cleaned them?

Aso have you tried with just choke and no throttle.
um it doesnt run when the choke is on and with no throttle .. ( so what does this mean?)
and no i didnt do anything to the plugs but clean them. its was because i was in a bit of a rush in time.
cheers
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

could be a number of things really. Could be the gap needs setting, old plugs, battery on its way out, poor earth parhaps? fuel mixture is wrong, valve clearances need doing etc...

I found that doing the valve clearances on mine had the engine running before id even finish pushing the button, but its always been a good starter.

Id check those plug gaps first as its fairly simple, then see about giving the battery a good charge overnight and give the earth points a good clean. All this will cost you nothing but time.

If its still having trouble starting then you probably want to look at some new plugs (dont bother with iridium plugs, CR9EK or CR9E's will do fine), the fuel mixture and maybe valve clearances.
parby81
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by parby81 »

check the idle mixture settings, sounds rich, check the choke is returning fully as well.
These things are sent to try us!!