got a few issues for the zxr guru's

Moderator: Moderators

hainesz
My Bike: 1994 zxr 400

got a few issues for the zxr guru's

Post by hainesz »

ok i just purchased a 1994 zxr 400 today and i got it home emptied the tank and put fresh fuel in and new plugs and found some issues i need help clearing up

1- when you press the starter button all i get is a clicking noise from the fuse box under the seat
2- the only way i could get it to start was by running a live from the battery and touching it on the terminal on the starter
3- once running and up to temp then turned off it wont start again, just turns over really slow then stops turning over, now if i leave it to cool down it will start again till its hot again....
4- it wont let me rev past 6k it just splutters then dies... (i think the carb need cleaning out)

any help on these issues would be very helpfull and i will be forever in your debt
[color=#FF0000]...Burn Rubber...Not Your Clutch...[/color]
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: got a few issues for the zxr guru's

Post by RedexRobB »

1. Id say thats a flat battery, but having been able to start it with a direct live it could be the relay. Give the battery a good overnight charge and see how you go.

3. your other problem sounds like the famous hot starting problem you get with a ZXR. No known cure for it at the moment and which bikes are affected are totally random.

4. could be dirty carbs, if the bike has been left standing for some time more than likely gummed up carbs.
hainesz

Post by hainesz »

RedexRobB wrote:1. Id say thats a flat battery, but having been able to start it with a direct live it could be the relay. Give the battery a good overnight charge and see how you go.

3. your other problem sounds like the famous hot starting problem you get with a ZXR. No known cure for it at the moment and which bikes are affected are totally random.

4. could be dirty carbs, if the bike has been left standing for some time more than likely gummed up carbs.

cheers for replying buddy, got to get this bike sorted so ive got some transport as my 200sx is off the road having welding and body kit fitted

number 1- batterys good... is the relay in the box where there is a few blade fuses, because it that whats clicking

3- has anyone managed to overcome this?

4- yep this is what i thought myself gonna go and pull them off now and give them a good clean it has been sitting for a year
hainesz

Post by hainesz »

right i have cleaned out the carbs and bike is running fine now... :smt003
also found out the starter relay has had it i now have to start it with a screw driver over the terminals for now, but its now starting everytime even when hot... :smt003

so im well happy at the moment
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

pleased to hear its all sorted matey! :)
hainesz

Post by hainesz »

RedexRobB wrote:pleased to hear its all sorted matey! :)
niceone cheers buddy... just glad i got my bike and all it owes me is £170 all in so far