Getting the bike on the road after 2 years (Help Please!)

Moderator: Moderators

kai22
My Bike: kawasaki zxr400 'L' model

Getting the bike on the road after 2 years (Help Please!)

Post by kai22 »

I'm finally trying to get my ZXR L1 back on the road after 2 years of being sat in a garage. It was backed over by a van and until recently I simply haven't had the cash to do anything with it.

So far, I've put a new exhaust system on it, I have a new radiator to put on (with oil cooler on it's way) and a new clutch cable. I have new brake pads and plan to put new fluid in the braking system, followed by changing the oil/fuel filters, oil change and repairing/respraying the fairing.

First things first. I've tried starting the bike and while the engine turns it won't actually start. I'm going to be putting some fresh fuel in the tank this week (a previous oversight) and half a cap-full in each cylinder to see if this helps. Can anyone give me any ideas incase this fails? And is there maybe something that I might have missed?

Also, since it's been 2 years since I took the clutch cable off and I'm not the most technically minded, I'd be very grateful if someone could remind me where it goes? I know where either end goes, I'm just unsure where the rest of it lies/ feeds through.

Other than that, is there anything else I should check for?

Hope you can help, any advice would be most appreciated.

Kyle
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Re: Getting the bike on the road after 2 years (Help Please!)

Post by masterofinsanity »

hi kyle, i wouldn't put any fuel down the cylinders, after 2 years there is a chance that the fuel in the float bowls is gummed up, might be an idea to remove the carbs and take the float bowls off to check and clean. get some easy start (available in aerosol from halfords etc) check the plugs or even better get new ones, make sure the battery is good and fully charged!

regards the clutch cable if you check out the manuals on the main site www.zxrworld.co.uk there will be pics in there at the front to show where all cables etc are routed.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
kai22
My Bike: kawasaki zxr400 'L' model

Post by kai22 »

Hey, thanks for the reply. I haven't done the fuel idea yet, although I had planned to do it later today so I'm kind of glad I read your post in time!

Anyhoo thanks again, I think that's everything I needed to know.

Regards,
Kyle
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

Once again....................a warning

When you removed the clutch cable did you disturb the two bolts holding the camchain tensioner ? there is a bracket for the clutch cable that is also held in place by these two botls....................................if you did it is very likely that you need to reset the camchain tensioner.................believe me this is important.

ZXR400 can be very difficult to start after a long lay up..................As Baz says get the carbs off and clean em out drain all the old fuel from the fuel system pipes. filter and pump etc etc .
Fuel especially standard unleaded can turn into a jelly like substance or dry out altogether to leave a browm gum like substance.

clean spark plugs would help too and warming them is a good idea but have everything set up so that when you hit the button they are still warm

While the plugs are out check each one to see if it sparks when you turn the bike over

And a good fesh fully charged battery is vital....................just because a battery is able to turn the engine over doesn't mean it is frsh and fully charged some help from a bigger battery (12v) is always useful.