No Go not starting

Moderator: Moderators

rdog87
My Bike: kawasaki ZX400G (1988)

No Go not starting

Post by rdog87 »

Please can some one give me some more ideas as to what could be stopping my first bike (and first zx400) from starting so far i have tried
New carbs (old ones had a dirty great crack in)
New battery now gone a bit flat after trying to start her is on charge
Released the stand switch is now free and moving
Cleaned fuel tank and put fresh petrol in was stood for about 4 years
New spark plugs
New fuel pipes
please help want to get my first bike back on the road :smt010
Oh also cleaned old fuel from system and it turns over on the start button but wont fire :smt010
many thanks,
[i][color=#8080FF]scraapy[/color][/i]
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: No Go not starting

Post by RedexRobB »

Id start with the plugs, do you have a good spark? And are the plugs wet after you have tried starting it?
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

new carbs ?

must have been expensive...............do they come with all the jets and fittings ? ?
rdog87

Post by rdog87 »

yeah the carbs were completely reconditioned and will look at the plugs when i get back should they be wet???. am thinking of getting another bike just to get on the road, anyone know were i could get a cheap one lol. just really like this bike and would love to get it on the road thanks for the help, any more help and i will be grateful.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

rdog87 wrote:yeah the carbs were completely reconditioned and will look at the plugs when i get back should they be wet???. am thinking of getting another bike just to get on the road, anyone know were i could get a cheap one lol. just really like this bike and would love to get it on the road thanks for the help, any more help and i will be grateful.
No they shouldnt be wet, but if they are then it is flooding. In which case ease off on the choke and throttle. Just see your post about your gearbox, not going well is it.
rdog87

Post by rdog87 »

no not at the moment but am determined to get it road worthy fingers crossed, just check the plugs they were wet :smt011 gotta get a new battery again comp killed this one bugger, any ideas were to get a cheaper one???? many thanks
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

Give the plugs a clean and set the gaps, better still heat them up on the flame/hob on the oven. And try and get the plugs back in while they are warm, makes it easier to start ;)

New battery, have a look round, to help you can jump off a car battery, gives it a bit of extra juice to start :)
rdog87

Post by rdog87 »

tried jumpin of the car but didnt seem to do much battery still went down till nothing but a click when i push the starter at a loss what to do lol
also dials did this crazy jumpin thing a few times before it died dunno if its a good thing or not
rdog87

Post by rdog87 »

OH MY GOD think i have found what the problem might have been please let me now what you all think and feel free to call me a tit!!!!!!
just looked at the battery it has written on the side in quite big letters 12v 8Ah am i right in thinkin that a ZX400 needs a 12V 10Ah battery and this is why its not starting what a :wanker i am if it is
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

dont know off the top of my head what the battery should be. IBut it shouldnt matter too much the amp rating, as the battery can still supply 10amps just for not as long. Plus if you tried jumping it with a car battery and it still didnt start then your battery probably isnt your problem. Dials will do that when the battery gets low.

did you try warming the plugs up? And did you check for a good spark?
rdog87

Post by rdog87 »

will do when i sort the battery out its dead the bike only clicks when i hit the start button so keep the plugs warm and check for a good spark got it but i should have as the plugs are brand new.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

Im guessing it didnt run before you did all that work then? Just becuase they are new doesnt mean you will have a good spark. Just take out one at a time and stick the tip of the plug on the head and turn the engine over, should be nice n blue.

By the way, have you cleaned the earth points? Might be worth doing if you have a crap spark.
rdog87

Post by rdog87 »

cool will try all you have suggested also saw after taking apart and cleaning the ht leads that the plugs require screwing into the leads not just pushing on again will ensure that this is done this time.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

sounds like your battery is shagged! new battery and new plugs, let us know what happens!
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.