wont start till it cools down

Moderator: Moderators

tonicpl
My Bike: zxr400 l4

wont start till it cools down

Post by tonicpl »

:(
i took my bike for a spin today and what happened after about 20 mins was amazing. i got to traffic lights bike went down on revs and cut out managed to start it again but when i got to another set of lights same stuff but this time no start. got it on the pavement try to start and it sounds like the battery is dead ( its only 2 weeks old ) when bloke from rac got to me i started the bike without any probs :/ and it was turning over normal so then he started to measure all the currents and everything looked ok well it charges the battery with lights on better then lights out :) odd :) so we agreed he will follow me ( well try to do so ) in d case it cuts out again after about 2 miles died by a roundabout same story down on revs and still :/ when he touched the starter it was piping hot (!) and when i tried to start it on his gadget showed it was drawing about 150amps!!!! ( explains sound of dead battery ) but when we left it for 15 mins to cool down started again :/ does any1 knows what could that be ? could running a bit rich lead to cut out ? i heard it could be pickup sensor :(
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: wont start till it cools down

Post by RedexRobB »

Sounds like a clasic hot satart problme, except people bikes dont die like yours does before hand.

viewtopic.php?f=166&t=3391

The fact the starter motor is roasting hot is interesting, as i think a previous member (Gubbs iirc) looked into it and found nothing wrong with his.
tonicpl

Post by tonicpl »

hmmm well dont know i think i will take it out when i have time anyway to have a check but d most interesting thing i found in the hot starting problem topic was about leaking carbs that would make sense i would say cos what it is i noticed it was running a bit rich you could smell petrol and i asked a mechanic ( so i think he would call himself :) )if rich running could kill your engine when you idle and he said yes and that would make sense 2 cos if 2 much petrol would get to the engine it wont burn and flood it ( im no mechanic so just speculate :) ) but after it cools down it stars hmmm would that be the time petrol needs to evaporate from a hot engine ? i bet that others who mentioned that the starter turns over very week had it hot 2 just no1 checked cos it sounds like a dead batt ...
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

well, something that occured to me is that the starter is bolted to the engine so it will be hot a degree id expect, how hot i dont know? Something else that occured to me is that if it was drawing 150amps the main fuse would have blown, sure it wasnt 15 amps?
tonicpl

Post by tonicpl »

positive i looked at the meter meself cos when he said 150 i was :O and next time it stopped it was round 200 mark :/ it was not a proper current cos it is imposs from this battery more like requested around 150 amp to be able to turn the starter im a bit puzzeld now :(