newbie with running probs

Moderator: Moderators

bueller
My Bike: zxr400h1 track bike

newbie with running probs

Post by bueller »

hi all, i'm new to this forum, i have a couple of buells for road bikes but i also have a zxr400h1 which i bought as a track bike a few months ago, however with many other things to do i've still not got it on track vsad
i had it outside under a cover for a while and would start it occasionally to keep it all ticking over, but i left it for a about a month and now when i start it it sounds very rough although it will run on choke, but when i take the choke off and give it some throttle it just dies,
then i can start it again on choke until i give it revs then it dies again, i took the carbs apart today and cleaned them all out but its still the same,
i work in motorsport making exhausts and although i'm good with fabrication i'm not so good with engines vsad
does this problem sound familiar? i've read a few of the posts on here but nothing exactly the same
any help would be greatly appreciated
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Re: newbie with running probs

Post by cargo »

Was it running OK befoe you parked it up ?

I'd say its nothing more than cold and damp....................ride it............... get it hot

ZXRs hate to be left lonely under a cover but love being thrashed
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

make sure the battery is fully charged and whip the plugs out and clean or replace them, then try it.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
kawasakisean
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L5 uk

Post by kawasakisean »

some bikes left stood on a side stand suffer with NO1 plug syndrome, a good run might clear the plugs, ZXR400's hate short journeys. also susspect stale petrol, recomend an internal carb clean ie float chambers and jets all cleaned out and all other parts, carbs can be taken to a garage with a carb cleaner or try some Red X carb treatment, change the fuel filter!
bueller
My Bike: zxr400h1 track bike

Post by bueller »

cheers guys, sounds like the no:1 cylinder prob of all the replies, i've cleaned the plugs etc, i'll get a fuel filter, did the carbs yesterday, i have to trailer it to the industrial estate where i work for a run about on it, i've syringed a little fuel into each carb individually and they all pick up apart from no:1, so at least i'm kinda going in the right direction hopefully

cheers for the advice smiler