Starting on the choke

Moderator: Moderators

diablo23
My Bike: Black ZXR400 L9

Starting on the choke

Post by diablo23 »

Having a few issues , when i start my bike on the choke it runs but will sometimes cut out , and will almost always cut out if you touch the throttle just after starting , even on full choke, am i on the right lines thinking the cars may be running rich?. on the theory that as its cold the fuel is not atomizing well , hence the need for more of it to be pulled in via the increased vacuum created by the choke , and given the already rich mixture opening the throttle is pulling in additional fuel that is then condensing in the cold intake manifold and in effect flooding the engine and causing it to stall?. confuddled
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Re: Starting on the choke

Post by cargo »

while my race bikes are a completely different thing from most road going ZXRs I do find that from stone cold they do not like any throttle at all and I find I can use choke only to blip it untill it warms a little then kind of pick the right moment to use the throttle.

I'm prepared to guess that whats happening to you is a cold weather problem as much as anything
diablo23

Post by diablo23 »

so in your opinion the carbs dont need to be adjusted and leaned out a little bit at idle?
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

What I will say is that if you want to adjust carbs it would be best to make those changes based on how the bike is behaving when it is fully warmed up and not based on how it performs when it is cold.
diablo23

Post by diablo23 »

ah well she runs fine once its warmed up , she just cuts out alot after starting when cold, wasn't sure if this was normal with carbs.