won't start!

Moderator: Moderators

angry mike
My Bike: 05' ZX-636R

won't start!

Post by angry mike »

hi,
my zxr 400 has been getting worse at starting and now it just will not fire at all, not even a hint of firing.
i was thinking it could be dirty spark plugs or a buggered CDI. please can you give me as much advice as possible as it is my only means of transport!
thanks...
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

First thing id be looking at is plugs also!

If theres not a hint of firing check the plugs one at a time by taking one out and then putting the cap on. Then put the electrode (the tip of the plug) on the top of the engine or on and earthed point and turn the engine over, you should get a nice bright blue spark, do that for all the plugs and see if they are all working, thats how you check if they are ok.

If there is no spark then its gotta be something electrical, maybe even the plugs, but i dont think all 4 plugs would go at the same time. Try changing the leads and see if that sorts it. After that it must be something further back such as the coils or as you suggested the CDI.

If you have got a spark its probably something to do with fueling.

Hope that helps.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

is your kill switch off? :smt003
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
angry mike

Post by angry mike »

now that would be silly masterofinsanity???

anyway i stripped her down yesterday and checked the plugs, all fuses and battery and there isn't a spark from the plugs so it must be either:-
1) faulty ignition wiring.
2) ignition coils. (?????both?????)
3) C.D.I.
4) HT leads.

I cant find out exactly until i get a votlmeter to see where the current is running through. although it'll show up as normal through the C.D.I. if thats fecked.

please leave as much information as possible as it is greatly appreciated!!!
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

i was being serious mate, i had problems when i first bought mine and the contacts in the kill switch were rusty and shorting.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
angry mike

Post by angry mike »

ok mate i was too :smt003 , i'll check em' when i get home from college. it takes an hour on the bus to go 12 miles!!! 10 minits on the bike. (normally) :smt004
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

If the kill switch was playing up would the engine even turn over? Im guessing theres more than one wire linked up with the kill switch if thats not the case.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

true but if its semi contacting it would act like a flat battery wouldn't it?
angry mike

Post by angry mike »

what happened to yours then masterofinsanity?

my bike still turns over like normal, all lights and stuff but just no firing...
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

Well, if there is more then one wire linked to it then yeah, but i think the engine is turning, just theres no sparks.

Youd have to have a look at the wiring diagram to see if theres more than one wire routed to the kill switch.
angry mike

Post by angry mike »

yeah there is but i can't remember where the other one goes to :smt017
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

if you have no spark at all have you tried another coil? RobB can't remember but if the 30amp fuse goes will it still turn the engine?
angry mike

Post by angry mike »

ok, an electrician came to have a look at my bike today and checked the damn thing over.
the verdict was that it started first time when i tried it :smt017 .
however... i then turned it off and tried it again and nothing, not a sausage, and thats right... no bloody spark :smt013 . i then gave the fuse box and cdi a tap and it started so there is either a faulty connection to the boxes or the cdi's internal switch is sticking and jams up (99% of the time)

i don't know what to do as i can't afford to just buy loads of parts hoping one of them will work???

how much would a cdi unit cost for a uk bike?

thanks for youre help so far and keep it coming...
sloweracing
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by sloweracing »

First thing try the ignitor down on the crank that gives a signal to the plugs to spark that could be faulty

If you think its the ecu have a look on ebay or ask a freind if you can try theres on your bike i do carry a spare if you wont to pay postage both ways

But normally if the ecu is going up the swanee it farts about stops the bike from reving out have you had problems with reving out coils you should be able to get check

Do you have some one near you with a zxr 400 to play swapies with for a few hours

Just go through things then write them down to narrow it down

sorry not much help

But at a stab try the the sensor on the crank little black box.... cover next to the clutch housing some times they just pack up and you will not get a spark

Is the bike a L model
angry mike

Post by angry mike »

do you mean the side stand cut out switch at the top of the side stand???

yes it is an L model and every piece of advice counts... thanks...