Engine turns over but no spark.

Moderator: Moderators

stevezx7r
My Bike: 1992 (ish) ZXR 400.

Engine turns over but no spark.

Post by stevezx7r »

Hi all, almost completed the rebuild of L model. Ended up getting a new loom/cdi and clocks to make it UK spec. Everything changed over fine (although I borrowed a battery from my brother from his falco). Engine spins freely, no nasty noises etc. Fuel pump seems to be working fine - wet plugs. But no firing and no spark. Before I changed the loom etc the it had a decent spark and almost fired (had to stop as it was throwing fuel out the overflow pipes).

I've checked fuses, connectors etc but no joy.

I'm about to nip out to drown my sorrows but the thought has occurred to me it could be the sidestand cutout switch or clutch switch? Any thoughts on those?

Cheers,

Steve.
Darkstar
My Bike: zxr400 L3

Re: Engine turns over but no spark.

Post by Darkstar »

This could be a lot of things.

when you say new loom and CDI do you mean brand new? or new to you?
If they are second hand have you tested them both?
always start with what youve just been messing with.

Dont think it will be the side stand switch, but you can always wire it out to see.
Clutch switch, is the bike in neutral? if so this shouldnt matter.

also if your plugs have been soaked from trying to start it you should at least clean them, maybe even replace them.

hopefully someone else who knows more about it will be on to help you soon.

Darkstar
stevezx7r

Post by stevezx7r »

The loom is new to me but not brand new. I have cleaned the plugs but still no spark. I'm about to try the original loom again. I have noticed the rev counter isn't moving at all which it should, even if only a bit as the motor turns over. The horn doesn't work either which suggests a fuse but all of them have been checked. I've put each of the three fuse boxes on to rule that out and still no joy.

I also have four wirse with flat connectors left over, not sure what these are for?

The colours are - black and white on one and brown and black on the other. The other two are black and white on one and brown on the other.

I'm baffled.
stevezx7r

Post by stevezx7r »

Ok, got it going.

I've swapped the old loom back in, connected the basics and it works.

As this loom is a Japanese one it lacks the wiring for the head light switch so I can't use it long term.

So, as a test I connected the UK spec switch gear to the loom and the head light switch is wired to spin the starter, although it wont fire.

Still a bit baffled but at least I know the motor is good.

If anyone has any thoughts on this I would be happy to hear them ;)

Steve.
Darkstar
My Bike: zxr400 L3

Post by Darkstar »

Why cant you use it long term?
your lights will come on when you run the bike wont they?

not sure how the jap import lights work, but surely if the lights are on whilst running thats fine?
stevezx7r

Post by stevezx7r »

With the Jap loom (switch gear) the lights will be on regardless of if I want them too or not and when I switch the engine off the lights will go off too, could be annoying if I want them on to, say, fit a disk lock or find my house keys etc. Plus, I've paid for a UK loom, I want it to work ;) I'll be having a look at it all again tomorrow with a fresh pair of eyes anyway, see what the problem is then, I'm thinking it's the switch gear at the moment, we'll see.
stevezx7r

Post by stevezx7r »

After checking the wiring colours from the switch gear to the loom I noticed they weren't matching up. A quick call to Baz (who supplied the loom) and it seems the no spark is coming from the different fuse box on my bike (still using the Jap import one) whereas the loom is from a 99 UK model.

Anyway, Baz is going to have a look to see if he has one of these kicking about his many parts collection and send it my way.

Still need to do the forks seals, then it's onto the various brackets, fit the plastics, grab an MOT, tax it, get insured and I should be done.
razzcolio
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400L1/VT750C2B/VT600

Post by razzcolio »

stevezx7r wrote: Still need to do the forks seals, then it's onto the various brackets, fit the plastics, grab an MOT, tax it, get insured and I should be done.
not long now then lol