One step forward, two steps back.

Moderator: Moderators

stevezx7r
My Bike: 1992 (ish) ZXR 400.

One step forward, two steps back.

Post by stevezx7r »

Well, got the "no spark" issue sorted by getting the correct fuse box. Put it on today, span the motor and off it went. Nice, I thought, just need to ballance the carbs and we're done. So I pop indoors for a few minutes. Out I go to give it another run and nothing. Not even the dash lights were on. WTF? I've checked the fuses and wiring to/from the ignition etc, the battery is fine too. No idea whats going on.

I'm thinking it's the ignition switch itself but other than it giving me an "on" or "off" I'm not sure where to start with that.

I'll have another look later.
stevezx7r

Re: One step forward, two steps back.

Post by stevezx7r »

Phew, not the ignition switch after all, twas only the solenoid fuse. I'd blown it while starting the motor, the carbs emptied a bit of petrol onto the back of the engine, so I in my wisdom, poured a load of water onto the starter motor. This shorted the bike out which popped the starter fuse.

:wanker

So, bike runs again but it's nowhere near right yet - sounds very fluffy and needs quite a few revs to keep it running.

Will continue tomorrow.
razzcolio
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400L1/VT750C2B/VT600

Post by razzcolio »

good work
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

stevezx7r wrote:Phew, not the ignition switch after all, twas only the solenoid fuse. I'd blown it while starting the motor, the carbs emptied a bit of petrol onto the back of the engine, so I in my wisdom, poured a load of water onto the starter motor. This shorted the bike out which popped the starter fuse.

:wanker

So, bike runs again but it's nowhere near right yet - sounds very fluffy and needs quite a few revs to keep it running.

Will continue tomorrow.

and the award for epic fail of the year goes to................
stevezx7r

Post by stevezx7r »

Oh yes, I win :excited

Got some new plugs in today and ballanced it by sight geek . I've done it by ear before but with a micron on the back it was too hard. Obviously it's not 100% but it should get me to/through the MOT.

Anyone have a set of vacuum gauges I could borrow biggrin I'm oop north and don't mind driving to collect them for a day, I could throw a couple of beers your way too winks

Anyway, got a few more little things to do like fit the new h/light bulbs, the fairing (when my new bolts/brackets etc arrive) then it's MOT time :excited

God it's been so long since I last rode I'm not sure which way round to sit.
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Post by Tirpitz »

Gauges are only about £40 to buy new Steve and if you're planning on keeping the ZXR you're gonna need a set. At least every 3000 miles they're going to need balancing. They go out dead easy. By the time you've driven to borrow a pair then returned them and bunged the guy a few beers you'll probably have spent half of that. You'll use them on other bikes too.

These http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Carb-Balance-4-Cy ... 23121facc6 are even cheaper, and they're new. Just like I've had for over 20 years, work a treat. Or if you can't be arsed to bid there's these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CARBURETTOR-CARB- ... 3cb8cc0d83 Bout as cheap as you'll get 'em.

You could try Pm-ing Hudders on here. He got a set of gauges but decided to flog his bike about a month ago and wanted shut of the gauges too. He was giving them away. I think he needed a set of damper valves - you can buy them for fish tank air lines off ebay for pennies. Dunno if he ever bought them. So you might be able to pick yourself a set of gauges up for peanuts.
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock