Float hights?

Moderator: Moderators

Chris Tyler
My Bike: zxr400ld

Float hights?

Post by Chris Tyler »

Hi

Just clicked why I havnt had any replys!!! Topic is locked!!

read lots of info with the search feature. I have stripped the carbs cleaned them up set the jets 2 1/2 turns. Replaced the rubber o rings for the float seats. Found the mark on the carb for the float level (right hand carb) & used a pipe to check this. They seem to be about right, however it is very difficult to judge the other three carbs. tabs are in the same place on all the carbs.
I have balanced the carbs & managed to clean up the springs & arms. (sticking a bit)
Bike runs a treat, as stated not much under 4 thou but pulls quite cleanly. Problem you ask? The bike wont start on the choke!
Quick blip of the throttle & off she goes, ticks over at 1200. If I use the choke it kills the engine.
Hopefully will get a few miles in & see how she settles but still wondering about the float heights? Anything else that would cause the choke problem?

Thanks Chris
parby81
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L9

Re: Float hights?

Post by parby81 »

its summer and these bikes tend to run a little rich anyway. In using the choke you are probably over richening the mixture, hence it won't start.
This topic comes up now and again, and the end advice is always this. All bikes (especially these) have there own little quibbles on how to start. Some need a bit of choke, others full on, some none. Some need a bit of throttle others none. They are all different, work out what works for you and stick with it.

You may find that as the winter draws in and the air gets colder you need some choke. Wait and see.
These things are sent to try us!!
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Re: Float hights?

Post by Tirpitz »

What he says.

Mine won't start on choke in summer but once it has fired it needs a little bit to keep it going. In winter it won't start without. Just what they do, you'll soon get used to yours, you haven't got a problem, sounds fine.
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock