Cutting Out When Clutch Released

Moderator: Moderators

thomp1983
My Bike: zxr 400 l3

Cutting Out When Clutch Released

Post by thomp1983 »

Hi finally finished my engine rebuild and got it back in the frame problem is that as soon as i release the clutch the bike cuts out. this problem existed before i stripped it down and seemed to be caused by a suspect junction box which was replaced. if i release the clutch to biting point then i can get the bike to move but release it fully and it cuts out. the bike has a new clutch switch, the side stand switch has been removed and the wiring looped. tonight after a bit of reading ive found if i remove the green neutral switch wire and earth it then the bike runs properly albeit with the neutral light permanently on from what i understand earthing the neutral switch wire just bypasses the clutch switch and side stand switches. for the minute im ruling out the clutch switch as it's new and behaves properly. using the wiring diagram ive checked ive got continuity to earth on the black/yellow side stand switch wire and checked ive got continuity between the green/white wire at the side stand switch to the other end at the junction box so i suspect ive either got problems with the junction box (it tests ok according to manual but is heavily corroded inside) or ive got a broken wire inside the insulation on one of the safety interlock wires. do the junction boxes usually go faulty if so does anyone know of a decent condition one for a uk model apart from the no doubt extortionate cost a new one will be, and does anyone have any tips for finding broken wires inside the insulation? although over the winter im tempted to cut out and replace all the safety interlock wires

cheers
chris
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: Cutting Out When Clutch Released

Post by RedexRobB »

I think your right in its the wiring, unfortunately you'll have to strip it out and trace the continuity throughout the loom to find it. Might be worth checking the wiring for the 'loop' you have made and make sure its a decent connection. Also down by the front sprocket cover I pinched the wiring behind the sprocket cover took some of the insulation off and was shorting out, so maybe worth checking you havent done that?
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

after some more inspection the problem seems to be a broken wire between where it leaves the junction box and curves round the right hand side of the frame just below the battery, if i fire it up with the rear wheel off the floor put it in gear then start wiggling the wiring around there it will cut out just need time to take the side fairing off and narrow it down although ill probably just replace all the wiring coming out of the junction box that's to do with the safety cut outs. also rang cradleys and apparently junction boxes are no longer available so need to source a decent condition one from somewhere else

chris
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

By junction box do you mean the fuse box ? If so still available for the L models , H are finished.

MM!
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

Yes i mean the fuse box. mines the 4 fuse version on an L3 and cradleys say there no longer available

Chris
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

thomp1983 wrote:Yes i mean the fuse box. mines the 4 fuse version on an L3 and cradleys say there no longer available

Chris

I might have one
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister

Post by Mori Man »

thomp1983 wrote:Yes i mean the fuse box. mines the 4 fuse version on an L3 and cradleys say there no longer available

Chris
Yup, still available - you can check with the on-line fiche I posted up and confirm the part number with them.

MM!
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

mori man i haven't got the language pack for the microfiche you posted, cradleys say i need part no. 26021-1072 any chance you could check and give me rough price in GBP.

cargo id guess you won't have much idea of the condition of the unit you'd have? with both my original unit and the replacement it's currently got you couldn't tell how badly corroded the internals were without drilling out the plastic rivets and removing the casings, both my units have holes rusted through the pcbs, fortunately my current unit none of the corrosion is yet to affect the circuits but it's only a matter of time

chris
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

If I have the fuse box it'll be in reasonable condition..................most likely it will be off a bike I bought ages ago to break so it will have been in a warm dry workshop for years.....................................I'll go look now
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister

Post by Mori Man »

thomp1983 wrote:mori man i haven't got the language pack for the microfiche you posted, cradleys say i need part no. 26021-1072 any chance you could check and give me rough price in GBP.
Hi Chris,

26021-1080 : 9,219 ZX400-L4
ジヤンクシヨンボツクス
This does L1~4 & M1~6(SP)

26021-1072 is the box for H1,J1 & H2 and is finished

26021-1089 : 7,245 ZR400F8F
ジヤンクシヨンボツクス
This is for L5~ (This is now in a ZRX400 hence being cheaper)

xe.com puts yours at 73.30GBP shocking Best see what Cargo has laying about :smt002

Count 1,800 Yen for 3 day express airmail and 1,500 to cover me fee.

MM!
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

£100 delivered for a brand new unit isn't too bad really id expected it to be more like twice that, il have to have a think about it the bike runs fine for now and i don't know how long term ill keep it, im in two minds between respraying it (starting to look untidy) and keeping it another year or letting go of it early next year and getting a fireblade before the stupid new licensing rules come in which i think will hurt the prices for 400's

chris
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

I have got the 4 fuse 1080 box seems in decent Nick too.
Cant believe how much a new one is ! How about a £20 donation to ZXR WORLD and its yours ?
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

sorry for the late reply cargo, do you know if it's off a uk bike or import the manual seems to suggest there different so ill need a uk one

cheer
chris
parby81
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L9

Post by parby81 »

U can always fit the later fuse box. Thats if you're any good with electrics. Takes a bit of fiddling and working out some of the wires, easy to do if you know how.

see this thread for details viewtopic.php?f=125&t=10370&p=80757&hil ... box#p80721
These things are sent to try us!!