jump started naw running badly.

Moderator: Moderators

callum@93
My Bike: zxr 400 L8

jump started naw running badly.

Post by callum@93 »

I first tryed to start it without the choke on. It started but only ran for a couple of seconds yet sounded fine, then it cut out as if it needed the choke on a bit. So i put it on but the bike would not fire, then after turning it over lots the battery died, so i got a jump start from car It started fine but then it sounded realy shity like it was missfiring, it had no power, sounded crap (back fired) and then cut out. i jumped it again but then the same but the head light would not work and it died again. If anyones got any ideas it'l be a great help Thanks people.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: jump started naw running badly.

Post by RedexRobB »

You might have flooded the plugs, so might be worth getting them out for a clean and reset the gap. Get a charger and give the battery a nice slow charge overnight. I always put the choke on in increments rather than full on while turning it.
callum@93

Post by callum@93 »

Ok mate thanks for the advice, il give that a try tonight and see how it goes. thanks for the help !
callum@93

Post by callum@93 »

Ok iv just finished doing that and the bike has started and sounds alot better, but im not sure its as gud as it has been in the last few weeks. But what i have realised is that after iv put a fully charged battery in, is that when i use the horn of brake light, the head light will dim or the lights on the clocks will, could this be linked to the missfiring?
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Post by Tirpitz »

Is it a new battery? Sounds like it could be knackered and when you try to draw a lot of power from it on tickover it can't cope - then you'd get weak sparks and a misfire. especially after you've just taken lots of juice out of it starting up. Might also be worth checking what voltage across the terminals with the engine running to see if the alternator is working and producing a charging voltage while running. If you do a search there's a few posts telling you what sort of readings to be looking for.

Bad battery is also suggested by your earlier problem. I've never killed a battery trying to start the bike even when I got it out of storage and started it for the first time in 13 years - and it needed turning over a fair bit then.
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock
callum@93

Post by callum@93 »

yea iv bin wondering for a while if the battery is a shitter like. I think il just get a new one so i can say iv tryed it, iv only tryed giving it a good long charge. Can it do any harm if iv jumped it from a car ?
parby81
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L9

Post by parby81 »

generally no, as long as its 12v. With normal jump starting of cars you have them running, this tends to send a higher voltage (around 14v). I have known this to upset a starter motor before hand. Given the lower power draw of a bike to a car, If jump starting from a car, I would have the engine off.
These things are sent to try us!!