Changing idle speed and engine cutting out

Moderator: Moderators

spacecadet84
My Bike: Zxr400 l9

Changing idle speed and engine cutting out

Post by spacecadet84 »

Hi everyone
I'm new to this forum and a freshly passed das rider on my first big bike. . . An all green 2000 L9
I Picked up my l9 today from Sheffield and rode it home to Manchester over the snakes pass (in hoaling winds and greasy conditions) this turned out to be a baptism of fire to say the least!
The ride helped me understand the characteristics of the bike and I found out some niggles which I hope someone could advise me on.
The 1st being the bikes irregular and speraddick tick over. It was running fine when I left Sheffield then when I stopped at some lights it was ticking over a lot faster at about 2500 rpm. I turned down the tick over speed on the remote idle switch and carried on my journey. About 10miles down the road it did the same. what is the cause of a fluctuating idle speed? Could it be vibrations working the switch loose?!?!
Also during the same ride while pottering along at 50mph in top gear. the bike lost power but the revs stayed exactly where they were when the bike lost power/drive I had to drop the bike down afew gears dump the clutch and rev it a bit before it regained power and drive. Are these thing related?
Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appricated. I've only had the bike 14hours and I'm impressed with the bike and community. I'll post pics of the bike in the newbies section when I get time. Watch this space!
richr
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr 400

Re: Changing idle speed and engine cutting out

Post by richr »

hi there and welcome

it could be poor fitting around the carb rubbers to head

do a search as this was asked a little while ago
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

Yup, it's sucking in air from somewhere - when cold it's not so prevelant.

Get the tank off and airbox and check how the carbs are seating into the inlet rubbers - also check the fastness on the inlet rubbers (manifillds) securing bolts - easy to get airleaks there.

Actually before you do, get a spray can of wd40 or oil and with the bike running spray around these types of mountings - if the revs drop you've found your culprit.

Welcome BTW.
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
spacecadet84

Post by spacecadet84 »

Thanks for the prompt reply and advice guys. I'll give this a try on my days off next week and let you know how I get on.
richr
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr 400

Post by richr »

when i do my carbs etc i use a funnel and a spare piece of fuel hose so i can keep the bike running when i need to

just tie wrap the funnel upright and secure and be carefull topping up with petrol :smt003

just be carefull im just saying what i do not giving instructions (that should cover the legal side :smt003 )
spacecadet84

Post by spacecadet84 »

Tried to have a look at the bike yesterday. Started to take the tank off then realised the battery was flat! So spent the
day shopping for an optimate and charging the battery! (didn't think it was wise to charge A battery and mess with fuel tank!!)
I will get there eventually I just hope it's before the summer! Ha ha
MrLuke
My Bike: ZXR400 L3

Post by MrLuke »

My bike does the same, when I'm sat at lights the revs start to rise but if I let the clutch out slightly to get them back down they stay down. I haven't found a certain instance it happens either e.g. temperature/weather etc. My carbs are off now and I've cleaned them and reset the pilot screw, I just need to put them back on and make sure everything is done up tightly and will see if it still does it, although they seemed a verys snug fit on the inlet rubbers. I'm not too sure on the loss of power but my bike ran crap under ~5000rpm, but I've now found that the pilot screws were set to 1 1/3 turns instead of 1 3/4, so that might be it. For example if I took a steep hill in first with the clutch out and the revs not high enough even with full throttle it would bog/splutter and I had to pull the clutch and give it loads of revs to get up. Did it feel like it was bogging or not running on all cylinders?
Oh and was your bike the one that was on eBay? Can't find the ad now but it looked very clean. I'm in Sheffield and the snake is one of my favourite rides hehe :smt003
Last edited by MrLuke on Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Post by Tirpitz »

You also need to look at balancing the carbs as this will also cause erratic tickover. The loss of power with the revs staying the same sounds exactly like the clutch is slipping, so it looks like that needs rebuilding with new plates.

And if the battery went flat in just 5 days after you'd given it a good run from Sheffield to Manchester that sounds knackered too.

Sounds like you've got a few jobs on.
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Post by Tirpitz »

MrLuke wrote:Oh and was your bike the one that was on eBay? Can't find the ad now but it looked very clean.

Lots of bikes on Ebay look clean. Polish is cheap and it takes the buyer's eye away from a multitude of problems :smt002
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock
MrLuke
My Bike: ZXR400 L3

Post by MrLuke »

Tirpitz wrote:
MrLuke wrote:Oh and was your bike the one that was on eBay? Can't find the ad now but it looked very clean.

Lots of bikes on Ebay look clean. Polish is cheap and it takes the buyer's eye away from a multitude of problems :smt002
Actually you know what you're right, mine looked good on eBay and as you say I've found quite a few things not right, part of the reason mine has been off the road the past 2 months (weather too of course!)
spacecadet84

Post by spacecadet84 »

Hey mrluke how's your bike doing? I'm slowly ploughing on with mine. Sorted the battery out just need the time to get the tank off and check the rubbers on the carbs for splits or holes. I'm also going to invest in a carb balancer and do that while the tanks off. Any one know of the best place to get one from? I want the carbtune metal sliding gauge not the dail sort. Gotta make the most of the freezing weather haven't we?
My bike was the one on eBay (all green with black belly pan) on the whole I'm happy with it. Buying anything from eBay is a gamble.I Viewed the bike before buying and did a 39 point check but that still doesn't eliminate the "eBay risk"
Maybe I'm a bit naive but I don't mind tinkering with it. I get to know the bike and appricate it more.

Good luck with the tinkering people and I'll see you on the black stuff when the weathers better!