U_h0rnet5
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400

Started ran fine and then cut out!

Post by U_h0rnet5 »

Hey people,

Right my dilemma is:

The L model I have had been sitting for a while when I bought it. It started at the touch of the button and the engine sounded sweet! I got it home and gave it some much needed tcl. I changed the front fork due to seals gone. Gave it new spark plugs, oil, oil filter and cleaned the air filter with all the proper stuff.

It starts up fine sounds a bit boggy to start with but after she warms up she is fine. I went out on it and gave it a spin but on the way home she completely died. (The dummy lights were really dull) It was if it was starved of fuel! However then I tried to start it again but no joy. The dummy lights were still dull and when I pushed the started button the rev needle pinged up and stayed around 8000rpm and then fluttered back down again! After pushing it for a while I decided to give it another go. Dummy lights were bright as normal as I got to push the button it looked like the battery had no juice in it. I then bumped it and it started fine on the second go. It then did the same thing cutting out again further down the road.

After that day I got a new battery and changed the Rectifer as was told that may have been the problem.

Again the same thing happened today cut out as if it was starved of fuel. This time when I turned the headlights off the dummy light became brighter, after a long walk and leaving it for a bit I bumped it again to get it home.

What else could be the problem for this bike????????? I do have pics of a couple of things that might be a problem to it. I do think it is an electrical problem.

Thanks in advance
Ciaran
U_h0rnet5
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Re: Started ran fine and then cut out!

Post by U_h0rnet5 »

Sorry just to add that the bike had drained the battery as I have had it on charge and it starts at the touch of the button!

I have just changed the fuel pump and filter and also checked the the plugs are all good. Drained a bit of the coolant from the expansion bottle as it was too high.

Thanks
Ciaran
U_h0rnet5
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by U_h0rnet5 »

After all that she is now back firing!!!!!!! :smt013
U_h0rnet5
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by U_h0rnet5 »

Actually sortied out the backfiring some stupid person put the HT leads in the wrong place even though they are numbered lol :pmsl

It has a Scottoiler on it with a wire coming out underneath the carbs, I think its a coolant tube. I have taken that off and swapped it with a normal tube. Should be testing it again tomorrow or Friday to see if this make a difference.

If anyone has anything to add or suggest then I'm all ears

Ciaran #65
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

if your battery is losing charge.........and it is NOT a faulty reg/rect or a battery in poor condition.

Then it might be a fault in the generator itself................I'm sure there is a testing procedure for the generator in the manual

BTW I am not good on electrical probs.................nearly always guess work