Bit of problem!

Moderator: Moderators

Black_onyx
My Bike: ZXR400 L

Bit of problem!

Post by Black_onyx »

Ive recently bought a L3 ZXR400,it has 18,600 miles.

its in fantastic condition,although i have abit of a worry about the engine,i think it may be the carbs.

Here goes....When i start the bike up after ive ridden it for 30 mins,the revs go upto or around 5000rpm,then slowly decends,this only happens when the bikes warmed up,when im riding it the bike runs very well,BUT again when the bike has warmed up i seem to loose engine braking,which is very present when the bikes cold but seems to disappear as the engine warms up,when i come to a stand still and pull the clutch in,it revs to 4000rpm,then decends slowly.

The bike has a full service history and paper work for everything that has been done to it,everythings original on the bike!

Now im guessing it could be a big prob;em with the carbs but i would love some help on this issue!

Thanks
Jimzxr400L1
My Bike: zxr400 L1

Re: Bit of problem!

Post by Jimzxr400L1 »

hello, i would go with a compression test see if your cylinders are similer then a car balance go from there,,,,, how this helps
Black_onyx

Post by Black_onyx »

Ok will do.

The bike runs and rides fine,its just these little things that are annoying me,and its only when the bikes warm!

Thanks for the help jim!
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Have a look round the forum, this problem is posted everywhere.

It sounds more like an air leak, lack of engine braking i would have thought would be down to the increased idle speed due to the leak. Get the motor running and spray some carb cleaner round the carb inlet rubbers, if the revs change then leaky inlet rubbers are your problem.
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Post by Tirpitz »

Check the airbox isn't leaking too. They can warp and the seal will break when hot. Sometimes the sealant strip on the carbs breaks down - you can replace that with some silicone.

I wouldn't waste time on a compression test, I can't for the life of me see what relevance that has got to the symptoms being experienced here :smt017
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock
Black_onyx

Post by Black_onyx »

Cheers guys,it was an air leak in the carbs,had them stripped,cleaned,sealed and balanced for 119 pounds!

Next on the list is some brake hoses....is there any set inpeticular i should go for?

Im also after a new set off fairing to tank hoses in white or dull grey!