charging problem

Moderator: Moderators

banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: charging problem

Post by banner001 »

beermaker wrote:right - have remade the burnt out connections, tested the alternator (resistances ok, no shorts to each other or shorts to earth and puts out a good healthy 49VAC on each coil at 4000 RPM). Took the reg/rec off and cobbled together several batteries and followed the testing procedure - looks like the rectifier is OK but the regulator is paggered hence why it's putting nearly 20VDC into the battery. Will get a replacement but in the meantime - is there any harm in leaving it disconnected and running the bike on battery alone so I can get to work (obv. charge it up on an evening!)? I can't think that there would be but would appreciate if someone knows for sure!
i seem to remember cargo saying that a race bike, no lights, on battery power alone will do over a hundred miles, so you should be fine if that info is correct?

you might not have enough batter juice to start the bike when you want to come home, so you might need to practice your bump starts :D oh and try to run with your lights off, they drain loads of power...
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
beermaker
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400H2

Post by beermaker »

sounds about right - lucky my work is only a 40 mile round trip! I was just concerned about leaving the alternator disconnected in case it may cause damage to the windings. Just about to put the sprogs to bed and then off into my shed to put the bike back together!
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

beermaker wrote:sounds about right - lucky my work is only a 40 mile round trip! I was just concerned about leaving the alternator disconnected in case it may cause damage to the windings. Just about to put the sprogs to bed and then off into my shed to put the bike back together!
btw, i am making educated guesses here, just so you know...please do not rely on what i say as fact, electrics really arent my area :D

if you PM cargo, redexrobb, tirpitz, rmkd they are the lads in the know...
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
beermaker
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400H2

Post by beermaker »

How very odd - bike ran OK, just riding steady away to work. Got to a roundabout and a boy racer in some stupid little car was getting right behind so went to give it the beans and the bloody bike started cutting out over 8000 revs. Can't imagine the voltage regulator would have this effect. I had regapped the plugs so they were all bang on. I did strip the foam element off the air filter as it was knackered, leaving only the mesh. Put some muslin over the air intake as a botch until I get some more filter foam. Thought at first it might be running lean but tweaking up the choke made it worse so imagine it may be rich as not getting enough air at high revs through the muslin. Have taken it off tonight so will see how she runs tomorrow :-)
syihabuddin
My Bike: L9

Post by syihabuddin »

I highly suggest you install a volt meter on your bike. They're cheap but extremely helpful.

With regards to your situation, I experienced the same when i was running the bike just off the batteries. The bike did exactly the same right before the battery went kaput.