new to zxr's low power between 1K and 4K

Moderator: Moderators

chrism
My Bike: zxr400

new to zxr's low power between 1K and 4K

Post by chrism »

hi i have recently bought a zxr400 89 but with a 1993 lump conversion, it has an ART race can and goes well. however when i go to accelerate its like nothing happens except the noice increases however once up and past the 5K rev mark it comes to life. my opinion is that the jetting is incorect and so needs a stage 1 kit, has anyone else had/have this problem and what have you done to fix this.

ive come from an sv650s which when you snapped the throttle it responded i hope its not just the reduction in CC's and that im expecting top much from my little pocket rocket.
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Re: new to zxr's low power between 1K and 4K

Post by CaNsA »

All zxr400's lack in grunt below 4k.
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
thomp1983
My Bike: zxr 400 l3

Post by thomp1983 »

basically what your experiencing is the main difference between v twin and inline four engines, a il4 makes all it's power up top and requires revs to make it go quick whereas a v twin has more torque low down but not much top end, you just need to adjust your riding style to get the most from the zxr

chris
chrism

Post by chrism »

Thanks for replying thought that might be the case, I took her out on the "track" and revs won't go above 10k topping out at 110mph to me that seems low??
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Post by CaNsA »

Whip you seat off and grab a pic of the cdi. it ahpuld have a sticker on it.
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
chrism

Post by chrism »

i can have a look on friday, what is the significant of it?
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Post by Tirpitz »

Because some of the CDIs are for Japanese models where the revs are restricted.

It's quite possible that the jetting is wrong for the can. If you change the can you need to have the fuelling checked but people will insist on not doing this, seeming to think that cans are just plug-and-play. You don't necessarily need to be buying Dynojet kits, though, just take it to a good dyno which has a reputation for being able to work on carbed models. It is quite possible that they will be able to work with existing needles by shimming them. Unless it has already been rejetted by the person fitting the can it will undoubtedly be running way too lean with a race can on.

The ZXR is a revvy bike. Nothing happens below 4k and not a great deal below 8k. It was designed to be revved hard, you won't damage it, Mr Kwak made it that way :smt003
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock
chrism

Post by chrism »

ok thanks mate ill have a look, i did have the seat up yesterday but didnt take much notice of the cdi sticker, i will whip it off take a pic what colour is jap and what is uk? having a read about and it seems that the restrictor does limit to what im discovering, also whats this ive been reading on clocks restriction?? i have MPH clocks
chrism

Post by chrism »

the bike has got the red one installed but i had the blue one in the shed but you can see the pin difference between the two, i did try the blue but the bike wouldn't start.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bendog66
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: ZXR400 L4, ZX6R F1 track

Post by bendog66 »

The red one is an H model CDI, the blue one an L model one. That's why the red one has 4 pins in the larger connection and the blue one has 6 and they're not interchangeable
chrism

Post by chrism »

So do I hve a restricted cdi then??