This is probably just childs play...

Moderator: Moderators

sjonesuk
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400

This is probably just childs play...

Post by sjonesuk »

Hey,

So I'm new to this and it's all very confusing to me, but please help! I bought a lovely, maroon ZXR400 about a month ago and have loved every moment of having it, but I have now managed to get the spark plugs wet with fuel, I think. I've been running the engine rich with the choke on most of the time because it felt as though it's been riding better like that...

Thing is, now I'm stuck with my fuel tank and air filter off in my garage and don't have a clue what I need to get my spark plugs out with... What size plug spanner, what length or where to get it from!? This is all assuming that I've actually flooded my engine and I'm not doing this all for nothing!

It's my main form of transport at the moment, so I'd appreciate any advice that someone could give me quickly? It's frustrating having to cycle 14 miles to work every day in the rain! Haha.
Scott Jones
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: This is probably just childs play...

Post by banner001 »

you will need a deep 16mm socket to remove the spark plugs.

something like this:
http://www.superpowertools.co.uk/produc ... 557/16360/

although if you can get a magnetic one these can help a lot as the plug will remain attached to the socket as you remove it.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

edit: i would also be questioning why you need to run the bike continually on choke? the choke is only really needed for cold weather startups, if you need to run it on all the time then your engine might be running a little lean at the moment...not a good thing. but others on here will be able to help you more than i can.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
sjonesuk

Post by sjonesuk »

Thanks very much, I really appreciate that! Can't wait to start it up and hear that beautiful sound again.

I think I'll post another thread about the choke at a later date then. Really helpful. Hopefully I'll know what I'm doing one day. Haha.
Scott Jones
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Post by Tirpitz »

You don't need to take spark plugs out if you've flooded the engine. Petrol is volatile, it evaporates. Just leave the bike alone for a while and it will clear naturally. However, if you've been running your bike with the choke on the plugs are probably all sooted up, not to mention the pistons / valves etc, so you're going to be looking at cleaning those up properly to get it to run right.

As has been said, the bikwe should not even run when warm with the choke on so if it 'runs better' you have something seriously wrong with the fuelling. It must be running seriously lean to accept choke when hot - which could be caused by an inappropriate aftermarket air filter, exhaust system etc.. All of which will lead to serious engine damage if you carry on running it like that. The bike needs looking at by someone who understands what they are doing. The first port of call should be a dyno run with a fuelling chart (cost you about £20), then you know what you're dealing with.

You can check the air filter yourself. You should have a foam filter in the airbox which is shaped like a rectangular box with an open end. If you have anything else in there (not the dreaded K&N filter 'improvement' hopefully :smt019 ) then that's likely the cause of your problem unless the bike fuelling has been set up to accept it.
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock
sjonesuk

Post by sjonesuk »

Thanks VERY much for that helpful reply. Now I just need a mechanic to get it going for me.

Changed the spark plugs and air filter myself, but no joy. vsad
Scott Jones