Charging Problem

Moderator: Moderators

syihabuddin
My Bike: L9

Charging Problem

Post by syihabuddin »

Hi all,

This isn't really a problem. More like problem solved. I've had an issue before with the bike not charging.

Swapped out 4 rectifiers/regulators. Tested the hell out of my alternator coils. But still couldn't catch the problem.

The bike charges by power coming in from the alternator from those 3 yellow wires. Check the connector on the left rear panel. Lots of voltage through there so it tends to corrode. Next it goes to the rectifier. Again same problem with the connector. Tends to break down there. If your rectifier/regulator is fine, here's the last bit. It charges by delivering power on the white wire to the positive terminal on your battery; through the starter coil also on the left rear panel.

This part it gets a little tricky. Do a connectivity test from the white wire outputting from the rectifier to the white wire on the connector of your starter coil. No connectivity? You've found your problem.

But here's the tricky bit. In the wiring diagram, it shows that the connection is just a simple one. In reality, on the wire harness, it's not quite. You have to unwrap the wire harness and trace the white wires to the point where they meet, which is buried quite deep down near the engine area. There you'll find 4 white wires connected to each other. Mine is the Singapore model hence YMMV. It may not be 4 wires. Reconnect all the (4) wires and test again for connectivity and voila! Your charging problem is solved!
R P Corse
CBT slow
CBT slow
My Bike: ZXR400 H1

Re: Charging Problem

Post by R P Corse »

Nice! Admin sticky this please!

Pictures would have been good but nice walk through mate
syihabuddin
My Bike: L9

Re: Charging Problem

Post by syihabuddin »

Would have taken some photos if I wasn't perspiring so bad and had cleaner hands. Silly humid weather here!