new battery = backfiring-thats not right....

Moderator: Moderators

Big Hoddie
My Bike: ZX4R

new battery = backfiring-thats not right....

Post by Big Hoddie »

I fitted a fully charged brand new yuasa the other day and the bikes not starting on the 1st go, its taking 4 or 5 attempts and now its started backfiring.... Is this a starter motor issue, and if so, what can I do to fix it?
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: new battery = backfiring-thats not right....

Post by banner001 »

How can your battery affect fueling?
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
Big Hoddie

Post by Big Hoddie »

A new battery and the bikes struggling so much to start that the engine's flooding and its backfiring when it finally starts. Is it a starter motor issue?
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

Why would anyof thie be caused by battery issues? If engine turns over starter is fine. If it wont fire look at ht leads coils and plugs. If these are fine.then its a carb issue. Why did you change your battery? Mqybe your problem lies withcharging. Whay are your battery voltages and ac alternator voltage?
Big Hoddie

Post by Big Hoddie »

Oh for fucks sake, I know the battery wouldn't cause this, but if you fit a new battery, you expect the bike to start on the button first time. Its not. Its taking 3 or 4 attempts and then when it bursts into life, it backfires cause its flooded cause it didn't start first time, like I expected it too. However, I've fiddled with the starter motor and it seems fine for now. If the problem comes back, ill replace the starter motor. If that doesn't work, ill take up your coil suggest.

New question-my neutral light only ever works half the time-any way to fix this, as if I start the bike on the stand, it could cut out because the neutral light knocks out :/
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

i have dissabled my side stand and clutch switches...more problem than they are worth IMO.

its probably a faulty connection somewhere down the line. i know my neutral bullet connector was a bit loose before i crimped it smaller...

all i was getting at was 1. what was the need to replacing the first battery? 2. if you changed the battery because of a problem (you only change them if they are knackered, not for shits and giggles) maybe its that underlying problem thats causing your starting problem.

if the engine is turning over, and you have fuel, compression and sparks...then the engine will turn over, they usually dont because one of those 4 things is missing...im guessing spark plugs/HT leads.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Watch your language Mr, were trying to help.

Did u fully charge the battery? Zxrs are well known for being difficult starters without a fully charged battery.

Your neutral light is probably a dirty contact. Its a bright green wire behind the sprocket cover, check the connector is clean and a good fit.
Big Hoddie

Post by Big Hoddie »

Sorry fellas, having some real girlfriend issues, plus I'm fighting for my position at college so my tempers a bit frayed. The battery was completely knackered and I've charged up the new one, so if the problem persists, ill change my plugs :)

How do I disable the side stand cut out? Do I hook that green wire up to anything?
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

Big Hoddie wrote:Sorry fellas, having some real girlfriend issues, plus I'm fighting for my position at college so my tempers a bit frayed. The battery was completely knackered and I've charged up the new one, so if the problem persists, ill change my plugs :)

How do I disable the side stand cut out? Do I hook that green wire up to anything?
side stand is easy, cut off the connector block (if you are never gonna hook it up again, if you might need it use a bent paperclip instead) and solder/crimp/twist the wires together, bit of electrical tape to seal it from water and poke it somewhere away from the bottom of the bike.

the clutch switch has (i think) 3 wires going to it, you need to connect up 2 of them (i used a bent paperclip), ill take a look later and see which coloured wires it is...
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

edit, you can then remove the whole side stand switch from the bike...shaves ~100g off...
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

clutch switch - looking at the wiring diagram you need to connect black/yellow to black...mine is taped up so i cant see it, but its easy to test if you have a paddock stand...jack bike up, put in 1st gear and thumb the starter to see if it will turn the engine over.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

Big Hoddie wrote:Sorry fellas, having some real girlfriend issues, plus I'm fighting for my position at college so my tempers a bit frayed. The battery was completely knackered and I've charged up the new one, so if the problem persists, ill change my plugs :)

what caused the battery to die? have you addressed this potential problem?
Big Hoddie

Post by Big Hoddie »

It would appear a dodgy starter motor and faulty earth were the problem. Well. I think it was an earth. And ill do the switches at the weekend when I have more time :P