engine wont turn over

Moderator: Moderators

copeyhagen
My Bike: zxr 400

engine wont turn over

Post by copeyhagen »

hey all, i swapped engine in my 93 L as the old one had a hairline crack on the block behind stator cover and kept dripping oil. anyways, i followed the guide from this site (viewtopic.php?f=55&t=7329)and thought i had everything connected right but bike wont turn over.
There are six wires that need to be disconnected from the engine all black or in a black sleve:
A wire going from the negative teminal of the battery to the engine casing below the fuel filter.
is this the earth/ ground wire? i have a small yellow and black wire from the negative loom that i cant figure out where its going.

there is power getting to the starter motor, and i have replaced the stator today with my old one and the cog in between the starter cog and crank wasnt sitting proper so there all turning now but bike still wont turn over.

battery was dead, i charged it on a trickle charger overnight and it was full today, but when i tried to start it it tried to turn over slowly twice, then all power goes. even jumping it from car battery isnt much of an improvement. lights ect work.

have checked starter fuse, thats ok. my bro thinks its the engine but im sure its electrical. have cut the sidestand switch and connected wires together.

where should i start? i see another thread on here under mine and the dudes engine wont turn over. i will try the 4 things mentioned there tomorrow.

thanks guys, really wanna get it back on the road
copeyhagen

Re: engine wont turn over

Post by copeyhagen »

forgot to say, like a tard i tried to jump it off the car while the car was running a few weeks ago. someone had said i might have fried the stator, thats why i swapped that and the starter today. but neither seem to have been the problem. i think i have it wired wrong
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Have u tried bump starting it?

Checked the starter relay?
copeyhagen

Post by copeyhagen »

havent tried bump starting it as the rearsets and all are off it at the moment.

the starter seems to be working ok, could the relay still be causing it to not turn over?
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

copeyhagen wrote:havent tried bump starting it as the rearsets and all are off it at the moment.

the starter seems to be working ok, could the relay still be causing it to not turn over?
you can test this by using a screwdriver to short over the two large screws on the starter relay, if this turns the starter motor, but thumbing the starter switch doesnt, then you know the relay is dead.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
copeyhagen

Post by copeyhagen »

ill try this over the weekend and report back, bikes in my mams, i moved before xmas, just need to get it out to my own shed..

thanks lads
copeyhagen

Post by copeyhagen »

bumping this up.

moved house at xmas and bike was back at my folks, have it out in my new shed now so trying to get it running.

just took battery out of car and brought into shed. tried to start bike without it, it turns over for few cranks, doesnt start then battery goes dead. hooked the battery up to car battery and same result, its etting no power from the jumpleads (was same last time i tried, leads are fine afaik). theres no spark from te elads when touching the positive terminal like there normally would.

i have swapped the stator and the starter over and neither have made a difference.

if battery is screwed, bike should still star from the donor car battery right?

whre does the earths on the zxr400 go? cheers.
copeyhagen

Post by copeyhagen »

can somebody move this to the starting trouble section plz :)
copeyhagen

Post by copeyhagen »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK8qorvivM8

theres wha she sounds like. took engine out esterda, cleaned all the earth and put it back in, same outcome. mechanic friend said it sounds very tight, like a bent valve or something.

gonna tr repair the crack in my own engine tomorrow and swap tha back in.

anyone used two part metal epoxy on their engine before? 2 small cracks behind generator cover
copeyhagen

Post by copeyhagen »

Anyone ever get a chance to watch that youtube movie?
does it sound mechanical or electrical problem?

one of my engines is in now getting a compression test done, so hopefully theres no bent valves or anything...

sold my gsxr so im off the bikes at the minute, wanna refurb or fighter the zxr over xmas...

cheers lads