Running

Moderator: Moderators

Striton87
My Bike: 1990 kawasaki zxr 400

Running

Post by Striton87 »

I just finished cleaning everything on my bike ie. the carbs and jets and everything. i finally got my bike to idle at arounds 1700 to 2000 rpm but when I bolt the fuel tank on it starts acting crazy and dies if i give it some throttle and it dosnt idle when the choke is off. any ideas what might be the problem?? :smt013 :smt010
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: Running

Post by banner001 »

if it wont idle without choke then your pilot air screws are set wrong, screw them out a little at a time and see if you can get it to idle better - just remember their starting positions relative to "being screwed all the way in clockwise".

1700-2000 is high, unless you have lightened and knife edged your crank, it should be 1200rpm. have you tried adjusting the idle screw on the RHS of the bike?

if it dies with the fuel tank on im guessing you either 1. have a blockage in the line or 2. you are kinking a pipe with the fuel tank on, or pinching a line etc... restricting fuel flow.

how did you clean the carbs?

if its not carbs, move onto the electrics, make sure its sparking fine, all 4 cylinders are running, HT leads good, coil packs giving the right resistance etc...
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
Striton87
My Bike: 1990 kawasaki zxr 400

Post by Striton87 »

I have not cleaned the carbs being that they are new aftermarket ones.( is what im being told by the previous owner) but even with the fuel tank off and all the lines stretched out it wont turnover. im really stumped cause all I did was change the battery and take it for a test run and came home and let it sit for the weekend and then it started with this problem. I have not adjusted the carb screw at all. im not that familiar with carbs and being that we just exited the winter and in to the summer could this be the problem? :smt017
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

...i would say its still winter outside :D

you need 4 things for the bike to start, air, fuel vapour, spark, compression...one of yours must be off.

you can test for sparks easily, and given that you are alive you should have air, its unlikely to be compression, so that leaves fuel.

pull off your fuel line at the carbs, place that fuel line into a bucket and press the starter button for a few seconds...fuel should flow, if not their might be a blockage.

but i still reckon its your pilot jets, i thought you said you cleaned the carbs in your first post.

can you take a picture of these "aftermarket" ones...unless you have lucked out on a pair of FCR's you will have standard Keihin CV carbs.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003