Running when warm

Moderator: Moderators

dunkymunky
My Bike: ZX400g

Running when warm

Post by dunkymunky »

I'm having a few issues with the bike. This is literally the last thing that needs to be sorted after a 3 month rebuild....

Bike starts and runs fine. Until it gets up to temp (about half way between C and H)

It will suddenly die and will only idle on full throttle. If you release the throttle, it will cut out and then will only start if throttle is on full. It doesn't have this issue when starting from cold.

Also, when starting from cold, the throttle will snap back and the revs come down perfectly. When this issue rears its ugly head, the throttle will stick. When I put it on full throttle (to start it or keep it idling) it will happily keep itself at full throttle when I take my hand off it.

If anyone can give me some pointers on where to start it would be much appreciated.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: Running when warm

Post by banner001 »

could be a too-rich idle/pilot setting, would explain why it gets worse as the bike warms - you meter the same amount of fuel, but the air is less dense, opening the throttle allows more air in so you have the right fuel:air ratio.

as for the throttle sticking, check the cable's not getting pinched anywhere, if you remove the throttle cable from the carb and the throttle the cable should move freely inside the shroud, no grap/friction, it should be all smooth...could be a blockage inside or damage internally maybe?
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003