Bike not starting after valve clearance service

Moderator: Moderators

parsasm
My Bike: ZXR 400 L9

Bike not starting after valve clearance service

Post by parsasm »

Hello,
i have a 2002 l9 and its at 19,000 miles.
I took it to the garage to have its valve clearance service (valves were a bit tight, especially the exhuast valves) and i picked it up today, paid for the service, and all was good, i had driven it home and it was fine. 1 hour later when i go to get back on the bike, i start driving and i noticed the bike had very little power, i was giving it throttle but it was picking it up very slowly and the exhaust sounded very deep and bubbly?. i stopped to check out what it was and then the bike wouldnt start again. i left it for about 15 minutes and managed to switch it on, but i had to keep the revs high for it to stay on, and eventually it was losing rpm no matter how much i kept on the throttle and it switched off again. and as you can expect it wont switch on again!
im going to call the garage tomorrow, but what do you think it is causing the issue?
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: Bike not starting after valve clearance service

Post by banner001 »

sounds like a fuel issue, everythings connected down there, fuel pump working, tank set to "on" or "res"?

what condition is the battery in?
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
parsasm
My Bike: ZXR 400 L9

Post by parsasm »

banner001 wrote:sounds like a fuel issue, everythings connected down there, fuel pump working, tank set to "on" or "res"?

what condition is the battery in?
yeah, tank is set to FUEL On (otherside) Res
battery has been fine, i just took it for a valve service since i had been having hot starting issues and also i needed my sproket seal replaced. before that it was all fine.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

have a chat with them, it could be that your fuelling is now off - probably too rich if its sounding heavy and needing loads of revs...could be a ton of things, best bet is to start ruling things out...
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003