Clutch in-wont start, clutch out-starts??

Moderator: Moderators

GTZXR400
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400

Clutch in-wont start, clutch out-starts??

Post by GTZXR400 »

OK, here we go. Originally my zxr400 would start on the button regardless of having the clutch in or out. I always start in with the clutch in and in neutral. Yesterday though, it will only start with the clutch out??? Pull the clutch in, press the starter and nothing! Release it and bang-fires up straight away. Any ideas why this has suddenly happened? It's the same whether the side stand is up or down. Throttle cables have been changed recently but nothing on the switch gear?
A bit confused on this sudden change.
adamm1704
My Bike: Zxr400 H1

Re: Clutch in-wont start, clutch out-starts??

Post by adamm1704 »

This happened with mine the other day. I normally start it with the clutch out, but for some reason that morning it would only start if i pulled the clutch in. The next day went to start it and it started first time with the clutch out. As long as your bike starts mate i wouldn't worry whether its with the clutch in or out.
GTZXR400
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400

Post by GTZXR400 »

Yeah, that's true! Just weird how it can be configured one day and then completely different the next? Mad bike!
I've seen a few posts mentioning a clutch sensor could be breaking down (??) but not sure if my L3 model has this? It has the side stand switch (this also seems to work intermittently) but had never impacted on starting the bike with the clutch in. Just hope this doesn't lead to a further issues later on as I've had my fair share of breakdowns, and think I deserve some hassle free riding! :smt004
jimsym
My Bike: ZXR 400 L9

Post by jimsym »

Just thought i'd add my 2pence.

About 4 weeks ago my L9 did exactly the same thing when trying to restart it after a 15 minute ride.

It was the only time something like that had ever happened upto and since then - rather unnerving!

Pretty sure its going to either be the clutch lever switch or the sidestand switch. Either way, (relatively) easy and cheap fix if it starts happening again.