Unbelievable :-(

Moderator: Moderators

Skins62
My Bike: Zxr400l

Unbelievable :-(

Post by Skins62 »

I am ripping my hair out guys ,I bought a 400l blind of eBay has I had major surgery on my head I could not ride it ,when I did ride it it was very fluffy up to 4000 revs ,then ok .took to local garage who replaced the rubbers and clamps on carbs as the was falling to bits.got it out on road and a thousand times worse ,spluttering to the point I could not ride it then cuts out , :smt010 ,it has now been with a kawasaki mechanic for 2 weeks ,he has balanced carbs ,new plugs ,battery,checked all fuel system and it still the same and tells me he doesn't know what to do with it ,please guys if you can help :smt010
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Re: Unbelievable :-(

Post by CaNsA »

Wrong pilot jets.
zxr400 is toad under 4k anyways.
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
Skins62

Post by Skins62 »

O well the bike is now for sale ,new battery ,plugs ,etc etc ,the bike runs superb but when it gets warm just cuts out ,I cannot put any more money into it :smt010
Skins62

Post by Skins62 »

Right after not ending up selling the bike ,I still have the problem of this ,rossendale kawasaki have now had the bike for around 5 weeks, replaced ,plugs,battery,fuel tap, carbs totally stripped and cleaned then fitted new jets and needles,,rectifier ,flywheel ,all wiring checked ,but still splutters like a pig after a while ,
I am hoping some genius on here can help please :ffs
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Post by CaNsA »

Been on the dyno yet?
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

LONG SHOT........................

One of mine had running issues when it got warm...................it was the wires from the ignition pick up insulation was brittle and wire was partially broken. Too many heat cycles I reckon
KwakKwak
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400L9 2001

Post by KwakKwak »

Skins62 wrote:I am hoping some genius on here can help please
No geniuses, all ZXR owners, therefore all slightly lacking somewhwere :pmsl
Skins62 wrote:,I still have the problem of this ,rossendale kawasaki have now had the bike for around 5 weeks, replaced ,plugs,battery,fuel tap, carbs totally stripped and cleaned then fitted new jets and needles,,rectifier ,flywheel ,all wiring checked ,but still splutters like a pig after a while
My bike was supposedly being used by the dealer's mechanic before I bought it, it was running like toad, are you sure the Kwak mechanic is really doing all they say, are they reputable? Problem if you don't check yourself, you do not really know what they have done. Is this the same guy you had it with for the first two weeks, seems odd to balance the carbs, then later strip them and clean them? I would like to think after 5 weeks a decent mechanic would have sorted it, hate to think how much you're spending on labour.
There is bound to be a nice ZXR owner near you who could help, I would sooner have a knowledgable owner work on the bike, than an unknown dealer mechanic, (my apologies if you do know and trust the dealer), better to learn about the bike and do it yourself, if you haven't worked on a bike before, no biggie, bound to be someone on here who will help, lower your sights from genius to fairly fookin knowledgable :smt002

Should also add, how did I know what was wrong with mine? See post above mine, if he don't know, nobody knows.
Does the low seat height reflect the low intelligence? Easier to get an asshole onto.
ross46
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: zxr 400 l6

Post by ross46 »

The zxr's aren't great under 4k I would check the spark plugs, coils etc. Though if it works fine above 4k it makes me think that its not something major, just not set up right (feel free to correct me anyone), try checking for air leaks and check your pilots are the right size, take out your mixture screws and check the seals (mine had similar symptoms and somebody had put the O-rings in wrong on some, right on the others, needle then spring, washer then O-ring) it sounds to me like the mechanic is taking stabs in the dark, and as you said, balance the carbs then take of and clean, check the carbs, they are the most likely suspect and simple to check, are the tubes on the balancing spouts tight and not leaking? Hope you get it sorted
KwakKwak
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by KwakKwak »

Starts okay, runs okay 'til properly warm, what about something really simple, like the choke incorrectly adjusted so never fully off?
Does the low seat height reflect the low intelligence? Easier to get an asshole onto.
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

"what about something really simple" ????

are you daft or something this is ZXRworld the problem is always something complicated and the solution is always even more complicated
KwakKwak
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by KwakKwak »

Yeah, I was almost loathe to suggest it, also thought of fuel tank breather, but two simple suggestions might cause a meltdown.
ross46
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: zxr 400 l6

Post by ross46 »

I'm not sure whether cargo is being sarcastic or not as it could be something simple, wouldn't be unheard of to spend hours and a lot of money to find it's something stupid. Start from the top and work through to the end, engines aren't too complicated, on sure you'll sort it. Good luck!
KwakKwak
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by KwakKwak »

ross46 wrote:I'm not sure whether cargo is being sarcastic or not
:smt017

As if.

Sarcasim and pearls :pmsl
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

Who me ?
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

cant be :smt007 cargo :smt007 , he only posts 100% accurate, undeniably stimulating, genuinely helpful posts.

best thing when diagnosing problems is to compile a list of known "good" parts of your bike. from this you can try to nail down what is causing your problem.

a few people on here have offered credible solutions, you have not mentioned if you have tried any of these, feedback works two ways, if you ask for help its nice to know that you HAVE tried these things and subsequently ruled them out.

personally it sounds like a fueling issue, 4k is roughly where the pilots stop having major influence and you move onto the needle to supply the necessary fuel. i would be looking at your pilot air settings first and seeing if you can get the bike to behave after altering all 4 screws.

if the bike starts fine and then gets progressively worse you might be rich on the pilots, as everything gets hot you need less fuel as the air is less dense, this can cause issues.

best thing is take the bike for a dyno run, make sure the bike is nice and hot (like it would be when it tries to die) and dyno it then, this should show you the air/fuel ratio across the full rev range and you can use this to work out what is going on.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003