Running problems!!

Moderator: Moderators

reecy660
My Bike: zxr 400

Re: Running problems!!

Post by reecy660 »

Just been out and tested the battery with a multimeter, voltage was staying the same when idling but as soon as I put the lights on it started slowly dropping would this mean alternator has packed up?
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

the click and eurrrrrrrrrrrr noise is a classic sign of a flat battery..................however yours seems to recover itself. I'm baffled by that :smt017

Your multi meter reads suggest a fault in the charging circuit.

theres information on how to check in the manual
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

sounds like every time you ride it, it travels less distance before it dies?? Being new its probably recovering quite well after being flattened.

Im guessing its not being charged between rides either?

What voltage are you reading exactly? If the battery is being charged it should maintain a steady voltage at the terminals, with it going down it sounds like its not charging at all, and the head lights are sapping the power out of the battery. You should also be reding the voltage at 4krpm, there may not be enough generation at tickover to keep the battery charged.
ross46
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: zxr 400 l6

Post by ross46 »

Take multiple readings at multiple revs and with lights in and off, max 15v. The manual is crap for this bike on this subject, most say something like, take reading @ 4000 rpm with headlight on. Basically you want to take multiple readings, if they go over 15v then your regulator has packed up, but you want it at around 14.5V at about 4k, a battery will seemingly charge itself slightly when left as the equilibrium reaction keeps going slightly after stopping the bike but it can still be dead, put on a nice slow trickle charge and check all the connections. The charging system only has the alternator, reg/rec, battery and fuses so is very simple, check the alternator output and come back and give us some figures, battery open circuit, closed circuit @ 4k with load (lights) and alternator output. Remember to turn your voltmeter to AC
copeyhagen
My Bike: zxr 400

Post by copeyhagen »

had the exact same problem on my gsxr and it turned out to be the regulator rectifier