Running problems!!

Moderator: Moderators

reecy660
My Bike: zxr 400

Running problems!!

Post by reecy660 »

Hi, need help please I have a running/ electrical problem I think on my zxr, recently bought a new battery, took the bike out that day for a ride and she spluttered and juddered a bit then cut out after about 20 mins riding, when trying to start again there is nothing as if the battery was dead, left it for 20 mins or so and it started up again but only managed to ride 100yards and done the same, help please. Sean
Vaughn
My Bike: Zxr400

Running problems!!

Post by Vaughn »

Did you have the lights on while you were riding??
I'm having the same trouble with mine but can't be arsed to fix it, I just charge my battery every couple of days and don't use the lights. It does ride like pooh when the battery is dead
it sounds like it's not charging. Check all the connections, might be an idea to get a multimeter out

Take a look in the manual, it will tell you how to test the alternator and other charging system things
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Re: Running problems!!

Post by cargo »

A fully charged battery will run a ZXR400 for over 150 miles with lights off and not using the indicators
ross46
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: zxr 400 l6

Post by ross46 »

Does sound like your battery isn't charging, put your battery on a trickle charge, then put it in your bike, start it and rev it a bit, place a voltmeter on the battery should show about 13.5-14.5v can't remember the exact value but as Vaughn said its in the manual, the charging system is very simple so shouldn't be difficult to find the fault, look in the manual and it has a wiring diagram just for the charging system
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

you can completely remove the charging system and a ZXR will run fine
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

Unless its a race bike though then the charging system is semi required unless you want to charge the battery every day if commuting
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

That's correct but our friend says his bike ran fine for 20 minutes on a fresh battery..................my point which as usual you fail to get is that after 20 minutes his battery should still be able to run his bike .................therefore I humbly suggest that he does NOT have a battery nor a charging problem or if he does further evidence is required...................................I'd be looking for a fueling problem.

Of course I'm also prepared to bet that our friend has carried out some work on this machine that he has so far failed to reveal to us
GibboN
My Bike: ZXR400 M4 ('94)

Post by GibboN »

Agree with Cargo, a fresh battery should be fine after 20 minutes whether it's being recharged or not.

Assuming you've left it alone for the night what happens when you try and start it now? Any other work you've done on it?
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Could be a duff/cheap battery or maybe even the wrong one all together. What battery did you buy? Should be a YT9BX if memory serves me. A battery should also be fully charged before use.

All being well as suggested you should be able to do some good mileage before dying.
JamieNeve
My Bike: CBR600RR, ZXR400 L-2

Post by JamieNeve »

Did you connect it up properly? Similar thing happened to me so I sanded the connections on the battery and battery connectors, and then tightened both bolts.
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

Agree 100% with you cargo, missing information, battery could be duff and not charging, that would be the simplest solution in my eyes. Hopefully he will come back with some more information. The reason I suggested battery/ charging is I had a similar problem and it was a combination of both. As I said, hopefully he will come back with more information.
reecy660

Post by reecy660 »

Battery that was bought is correct for bike was charged prior to use and started fine like it usually does,on Friday I rode the bike with lights on for about 20 mins then the bike spluttered and cut out tried turning it over and got nothing, so turned lights off and left it for 20 mins or so, and was life in battery again to start, rode up the road with lights on and done same thing, left it for 2 days and it started fine again, idling for 10 mins with lights on to warm up, got on it rode 50ft cut out no life in battery again wouldn't start, cleaned out fuel and filter before this last night not touched carbs yet. Cheers
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

When you say you tried to start it and got nothing......................was there a click from the starter solenoid ? Did the engine turn over ?

seems to me from you description that your battery has a rather unique ability recharge itself while it just sits there ? ?

Even with lights on a fully charged battery will run you bike and lights for more than 20 minutes with no charging going on.

I'm still thinking fueling issues...................but perhaps also a suspect electrical connection given that it is impossible for a battery to recharge itself. Depend on exactly a precisely is happening when it fails to start
reecy660

Post by reecy660 »

It does seem to be like that miraculously charging itself yes, it does do the clicking and a urrrrrrrr noise
reecy660

Post by reecy660 »

I thought fuelling issues firstly when it cut out but when tried starting it and got nothing I thought electrical