Cutting out issue

Moderator: Moderators

ManxMan
My Bike: ZXR400

Re: Cutting out issue

Post by ManxMan »

I fail to understand how bypassing the side stand switch compensated for a flat battery ?

Are we now agreed that the so called breather is in fact a drain ? It would be good to have confirmation. Perhaps a scientific approach is needed.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

ManxMan wrote:I fail to understand how bypassing the side stand switch compensated for a flat battery ?

Are we now agreed that the so called breather is in fact a drain ? It would be good to have confirmation. Perhaps a scientific approach is needed.
i think his battery is dying, so it charges but doesnt hold it too well as his bike is still cutting out after he bypassed the sidestand switch (i.e. its not that).

i had a look under a bright light at my fuel filler cap, there is a small hole drilled in it and i cant see any other way for it to vent (never really needed to look at it that hard to be honest), and yes the manual has been wrong in the past.

so the fuel tank vents through the key, and the drain is a water drain, im happy with that.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
Kevh1070
My Bike: Zxr 400 l3

Post by Kevh1070 »

Hi all, new to the forum bit, recently acquired an L3 model with a number of botched wiring jobs one of which was the sidestand kill switch going closed circuit due to damaged wiring loom at the connector & also partially trapped behind the front sprocket cover. Remade this & the bike still cutout at 90mph whilst overtaking " not impressed" after having a good decko over the wiring diagram the brown core for the junction box appears to be tee'd off at several points in the loom. As a feed for the fuel relay & also the h/bar run switch, would someone be kind enough to check my findings before I start dismantling the h/bar switch gear.
Regards Kev
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

i did a handy guide to the electrics of the bike here-viewtopic.php?f=125&t=15674

you can make them even bigger, or if you send me your email address i can send you the layered photoshop files so you can just show the wires you want (i.e. brown, or the black wires and the blue/white wires etc.)
Damian120
My Bike: ZXR 400 L9, RVF 400 NC35

Post by Damian120 »

Going back to the subject of this post, my fault turned out to be frayed wiring for the ignition system - allowed for a short circuit to the frame or didin't allow enough current to pass.

Was the orange wire (L9 model) under the airbox, main ignition barrel group of wires (Y)
Current Mods:
Venhill S/S Braided Brake lines
GSXR-600 K2 Front Calipers
GSXR-1000 K1 Rear Caliper
Two Brothers Racing Exhaust Can
Koso RX2n Digital Dash
2007 Yamaha R1 Rear M/C
Kevh1070
My Bike: Zxr 400 l3

Post by Kevh1070 »

Hi thanks to banner001 I got a copy of your w/diagram, it has been no end of help. So far I've made numerous loom repairs including the main ignition switch live/starter core(brown) beneath the airbox. It was some what frazzled, the bike appears to have had 2 alarms in its lifespan so far, one being poorly removed & it's current datatool which has also been compounding the primary wiring loom issues/bodges.
You gotta love a good old cowboy job !!!
Had all the connectors, fuse box, cdi etc apart as well. Another shed load of crud removed. So far the bike starts & idles fine, just the shakedown run to do now.
Hoping all goes to plan, thanks again all
Regards Kev.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

no worries, i can also supply the original photoshop layered ones, so you can isolate single, or multiple colours of wires...pm me with an email address and ill send them over.
tank72990
My Bike: zxr 400 L3

Post by tank72990 »

hi guys , total newbie so please excuse my ignorance , been reading the post and have a similar issue , I recently bought a '93 L3 which hadn't turned a wheel for 5 yrs ( last mot 03/11) I gave it a service and fresh fuel and she started and ticked over sweet as a nut , but the pre mot test ride didn't go to plan as after about a mile the bike lost power no throttle response and felt like I was in too high a gear - 25mph in 4th but as I dropped a gear the power loss got worse and she died , started again no problem but after another few mins same again , stuck another gallon in the tank and went for a blast but same again after a few miles
any ideas ???

oh and where is the neutral gear wire ??
Miles
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400 L3

Post by Miles »

Next to the water pump
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

start with the obvious ones first, ie. battery condition, spark plugs, then look int othe fuel tank is it full of shite, then take off the carbs are they clean or full of orange sludge?

it could be pretty much anything, it could be your fuel pump not working properly, it could be a loose wire...start by checking some obvious things off your list then get back to us.