FUEL PUMP NOT WORKING!!!

Moderator: Moderators

Madderz
My Bike: 1992 Kawasaki ZXR400

FUEL PUMP NOT WORKING!!!

Post by Madderz »

Hey all,

Bike is back together after doing the head gasket etc.

She doesn't seem to be sucking fuel from the tank through the fuel filter into the pump. Fuel pump is plugged in, tank has fuel in it and i've blown and sucked through the filter there is no blockages. No kinks in any hoses either. Is there something i have to do to make it start working after removing it and having it stood for a while? Should the fuel pump make some sort of noise or whine? Is there an earth i've missed or a fuse i'm overlooking? Do i need a full tank to push help the fuel through?

Also, the negative connection on my battery has a joiner in it for some reason and whilst trying to turn over repeatedly it get super hot and starts smoking. Not normal that is it lol

Just need to get this sorted and she will be running. Kinda stuck now! Been working on it since 7am, im covered in oil cuts and i smell like a dying monkey.

Maybe im overlooking something simple through stress lol

Any1 got any input?
He who dares, Wins.
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Re: FUEL PUMP NOT WORKING!!!

Post by CaNsA »

Fuel tap?
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
Madderz

Post by Madderz »

Fuel seems to come down from the tank just fine if i suck the filter (YUCK). I never closed the tap when i took it off i just popped the quick release on the hose. So can't be that. I'm sure its the fuel pump but i'm not sure how to check or if i'm missing something.

Is there a testing procedure i can try or a fuse/relay i can replace?
He who dares, Wins.
Madderz

Post by Madderz »

Ok never mind i've located the relay.

Next step is to replace that and see if it helps.

I just find it odd that a relay would go whilst its in bits?

Ho hum. we shall see.
He who dares, Wins.
Madderz

Post by Madderz »

Ok that wasn't the fuel pump relay.

I shorted the plug and the starter fired!! :pmsl :pmsl

Other relay near that one is the fan relay, just successfully blew the fuse on that one.

Any ideas? Only other one i see is the indicator relay.
He who dares, Wins.
Madderz

Post by Madderz »

Ok update:

Ran the fuel pump directly off a jump pack. Kicked into life and spat fuel everywhere.

It HAS to be the relay.

Getting there.....slowly.....
He who dares, Wins.
Madderz

Post by Madderz »

So the fuel pump only runs electrically when the starter is being pushed.

After that does it run using vacuum?

So I assume the relay that I shorted thinking it was the fuel pump relay that actually fired the starter is in fact the right relay? As the starter and fuel pump only run electrically together?

Does that make sense?

So the relay that runs the fuel pump will also run the starter?
He who dares, Wins.
Madderz

Post by Madderz »

But if what I said above is correct, surely if the relay that ran the pump at the same time as the starter was dodgy theb the starter wouldn't turn either?

Man I really am lacking the knowledge when it comes to how these in turn effect each other.

I'm just putting 2 and 2 together because what i thought was the fuel pump relay, when I shorted it thebstarter fired.

New relay on the way from Cradleys either way.
He who dares, Wins.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

The fuel pump relay has two inputs. When you press the starter you send a continuous signal to the fuel pump relay to pump until you release the starter button. Once the bike is fired up the fuel pump relay gets an input from the coils, so as the coils fire faster the pump goes more often so pumps more fuel.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
Madderz

Post by Madderz »

Oh I see. Paha. I had it completely wrong.

Well the pump doesn't rub when the starter button is being pushed.

So it's probably the relay.

Or maybe an earth somewhere I've forgotten. The only 2 earth's I can remember, were 2 separate ones bolted to the bracket where the fuel pump is....

See here:Image

After sitting looking at that picture I have also remembered there is a 3rd! In the picture above if you look just above that bracket you can see one on the engine housing..... Luckily I took pictures every step. However they aren't much help lol

I just had a nose at the bike and this earth is missing and i cant locate it for the life of me. Anyone know where it could be? And would it effect the fuel pump?

The image above is me with my finger bang on top of the bolt. I've followed the loom everywhere but i cant find it. There's no other wire coming off the fuel pump or anywhere else.

This is p*issing me off.

So there should be 3 earth points for things. Do we know what they are?
He who dares, Wins.
Madderz

Post by Madderz »

Just took a picture of the hole where it should be....

Is anybodies bike in bits or can anyone have a quick look and follow this earth back for me?
He who dares, Wins.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

you only need one -ve return wire from either the frame or ideally the engine to the -ve terminal on the bike, and as cargo said the wire needs to be a thick cable like your one that attaches to the +ve battery terminal as its got to withstand a lot of current from when you fire up the starter, if you use too thin wires you will heat the wire up to the point that it will fail in no time, and you will reduce the available current going to the starter motor so your bike will be difficult to start.
Madderz

Post by Madderz »

I could kiss you guys.

DUH i'd taken the earth strap off both ends and had "put it somewhere safe" so a tiny thin wire was on the -negative battery terminal no wonder it was getting hot. Found the strap bolted her in and she turns over great now and no hot smoky wires. However the fuel pump is not working still. I probably cooked the relay or something trying to start it with a useless earth or something. Ordered one from Cradleys last night so hopefully be here tomorrow.

I must seem like a right plank but after 7 long hours working on the bike my head was a bit frazzled. Should have called it a day and came back with a fresh head!!

I'll let you know what happens with the new relay.

Thank you very much for your help.
He who dares, Wins.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

no problems madderz, we are all here to help.

and FYI everyone hates electrics, because its always something simple or overlooked...if you forget to put a cam in your engine you will know it doesnt look right, or forget to put all your clutch plates back you will see there is a gap...but an unconnected wire, or a break down a line can be infuriating to find and fix :D
Madderz

Post by Madderz »

Hahahahahahahhahah!

Guess what it turned out to be? 2 plugs round the wrong way.

I noticed when sitting looking back through all the pictures I took. I guess they came in handy after all.

She fired up straight away. Took her for a blast and she spat oil all down the inside of my nice new white boots Paha. All over my rear break too which took me by surprise. Nearly ended up head first in the rear of a Fiat punto. Oil leak somewhere. Im thinking the sump. I loosened it for some reason and i think it may still be loose! Hosed her down and she just drying. Will have a look later.

Problem solved.

Electrics are skunk.
He who dares, Wins.