please help ZXR400 H2.

Moderator: Moderators

zxr400sp
My Bike: kawasaki zxr400sp

please help ZXR400 H2.

Post by zxr400sp »

Hi there folks,my bike is a zxr400 h2 (1990) I bought the bike about 4 years ago as a project,(still trying to pass my theory test) any way the bike did run when I purchased it but has not been started since also its been sat in my back garden all that time,so I will get to the point I will not start,it just makes a clicking noise and its coming from the starter solenoid,(even though its a brand new part) it was doing it before I changed it,also I have gone through 2 brand new batteries a starter motor,when I do press the starter button it clicks and the rev needle moves up and down when I rev it,also there is lots of engine oil when I took the stator cover off the one on the left off the bike,should there be 3l of engine oil when I took the cover of im starting to think it could be seized but I asked a well renowned motorcycle mechanic and he said its very unlikely any help would be much appreciated,or information,kind regards shane. :smt010
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Re: please help ZXR400 H2.

Post by masterofinsanity »

new or fully recharged battery and a new set of plugs before you even start! rev counter playing haywire is definitely down to a knackered battery, oil in the left hand side cover is fine, its supposed to be there.You just need to check the engine isn't seized but i've never heard of one seizing in 15 years!
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

remove the pulsar cover on the RHS of the bike under the fairing cover, you can then turn the engine in a clockwise rotation with a 19mm spanner/socket, if it turns then engine is not seized.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
zxr400sp

Post by zxr400sp »

Thanks for the replies,im going to try and turn the engine over with a 19mm socket or spanner,best regards shane.
zxr400sp

Post by zxr400sp »

Hi again,my engine is not seized thank god,also the spark plugs are brand new,as is the battery,so I was wondering if any body can help me out on where to have a look next,im thinking It could be electrical now but not to sure,as stated before I have checked the fuses,and the starter solenoid is brand new,any help will be much appreciated regards shane.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

you mention that you cant start it, you need a good strong battery (i.e. topped up on an optimiser in good condition), fuel, spark for the bike to turn over, i would first check the 30A fuse in the solenoid, if thats ok and the bike still clicks when the starter button is pressed its probably the solenoid - even new parts can be bad, this is true as long as the battery is good, if it wont put out a few hundred amps it will also cause the solenoid to click, you can test this by shorting out (if you value your life dont be touching anything metal when you do this!) the two connections on the solenoid, this should cause the bike to fire, if the bike seems weak to turn over then its a crap battery, if its fine then you have a dead solenoid/wire break somewhere.

once the bike fires up you will need to test the output of the alternator, should be ~14.2V at teh battery and 45V AC direct from the alternator.
PocketFighter

Post by PocketFighter »

just going to throw this out there

if the battery is new, have you checked the reg/rec? i stuck a new battery in mine when i first bought her, lasted a week and then died, turned out the reg/rec was knackered
zxr400sp

Post by zxr400sp »

Hi there,thanks for the replies,i have just purchased a quality multimeter what are the main things I should be testing,will I beable to test the rectifier,or is that not possible,anymore pointers would be much appreciated regards shane.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

first you get the bike fired up, once its running test the DC voltage across the battery terminals, should be 14.2V.

if it is then your alternator and rectifier are probably fine.

you can check that alternator by looking for 45V AC at 4k rpm across all three pins of the black alternator connector, reg/rec's can be tricky as it might be breaking down when warm under load, see if the voltage is maintained at 14.2V at various RPM's and after taking the bike for a 30 minute blast with the lights on to get the reg/rec fully warmed up.