Regulator rectifier?

Moderator: Moderators

Stephieanne86
My Bike: Kawasaki zxr400l

Regulator rectifier?

Post by Stephieanne86 »

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie.
I have a '93 zxr and having some problems.
I went for a ride which included a couple of stops and starts at friends etc, I filled the tank then carried on my merry way. After around 5 minutes riding the bike cut out at a junction. It wouldn't start at all with the ignition. I bumped it and it started twice but cut out shortly after.
I've had a voltage test which read low output.
Has anyone had this problem? Coukd it be the regulator rectifier?

Thanks
deano1351
My Bike: Anything with two wheels

Re: Regulator rectifier?

Post by deano1351 »

It sounds like a reg/rectifier problem, its a common thing to go wrong. It could also be a problem with the stator coil/alternator not producing enough electricity but this isn't as common. There are some easy tests to do if you're handy with a multimeter to determine whether the alternator is producing enough power but 9 times out of 10 its the reg/rectifier
Stephieanne86
My Bike: Kawasaki zxr400l

Post by Stephieanne86 »

Ok thanks. I've just actually driven 40 miles to get s new one. I'm going to fit it and check the voltage and see how we go from there.
Thanks again
deano1351
My Bike: Anything with two wheels

Post by deano1351 »

Ok fingers crossed it fixes it, its worth checking the battery too as they can often be knocked out by a faulty reg/rectifier. As long as you've got a good 14v+ when its running and just higher than tickover speed then the charging will be fine, if the battery is lower than 12.2v in the morning after with the engine off then the battery is probably on its way out, its also worth opening the caps off the battery and making sure there is enough water in there, old batteries dry out but a top up with distilled water will normally revive them for a while