BLOODY BIKE!!!!

Moderator: Moderators

evocativehalfling
My Bike: tomos moped

BLOODY BIKE!!!!

Post by evocativehalfling »

Ok here goes
I have a ZXR400 H1 (on a G) last year it started cutting out on me when I slowed down or stopped and the only way to get it going again was to bump it. I initially thought it may be electrical so i changed the coil and stuck a new battery on. NO JOY the problem persisted. I have recently had a new air filter, new end can, got the carbs stripped and cleaned, new spark plugs, new oil and filter but the problem remains. It runs lovely when it is going but I dread junctions, roundabouts, and traffic queues because i just know its going to die on me. The tick over has been turned up but it still seems to struggle with power (clunking and misfiring) until the revs speed up. I am at the end of my tether with it now

Please someone give me a clue at to what to do next
skulking about as usual
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

so you've checked for dodgy earths? replaced leads? checked the 30amp fuse? and i think there is a connector on the left hand side with either a green or yellow wire going to it which usually corrodes and causes all sorts of problems.side stand switch is ok?
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
evocativehalfling

will check it all out promptly

ta chuck
skulking about as usual
mongo

Post by mongo »

does it have enough juice to turn it over on the starter?

if not did you replace the regulator rectifier? (you said coil, but wondering if you meant this). If you havent get a multimeter on it and measure the voltage you should see at least 12.8 volts over the battery at any time and no more than 14.8 volts at rev's (about 6,000 rpm) and try with the lights on and off.

I would look at getting a spare set of carbs for it and swap them over, it is possible that they may not be as good as they used to be! if you take the tank and airbox off and run it at idle, place your hand over the top of each inlet of each carb and see if the suction feels the same for each one, then also try it at a bit revs too.
kwackkev22

Post by kwackkev22 »

maybe you should check the fuel filter with the bike being that old. try replacing it i can rember the rust and crap that was in my tank on my old bike it was only a few years old at that as well. Mind you it was a cagiva but lets not get in to that :smt014.it could not be drawing fuel throught as you back off the throtle you could allso check the fuel pump that might be faulty as well all the best any way :smt006
previous bikes
piaggio nrg 50
cagiva mito 125
current bike zxr400l9
evocativehalfling

grrrrrrrrr

ok, have checked the rectifier/regulator and that appears to be fine on the multimeter however the wire leading to it get damn hot when the bike is running (are they supposed too?)
number 5 wire (yellow and black) had corroded/burnt through and we have replaced that but the bike still refuses to restart when warm :smt012 .
lo :smt013 oks like its the carbs being checked next!
skulking about as usual