Starter Motor Gear

Moderator: Moderators

EvilSpike
My Bike: ZXR 400 L8

Starter Motor Gear

Post by EvilSpike »

Anyone had one of these fail? I poke my finger in the hole after removing the starter motor and it's locked solid. The motor works and is getting power but it won't turn the bike over.

How easy is it to get in and replace the thing, I can't find a mention of it in the workshop manual anywhere, maybe I'm not looking in the right place?

Ta for any help :)
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: Starter Motor Gear

Post by banner001 »

Page 15-5 of the H manual is the exploded diagram of the starter motor/gears/sprag clutch - is the best the manual can offer.

as for turning over the starter gears by hand, that will never work (if thats what you are trying to do).

can you turn over the engine using the nut on the end of the crank (RHS) as you would do if checking the timing?
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
EvilSpike
My Bike: ZXR 400 L8

Re: Starter Motor Gear

Post by EvilSpike »

Thank you for replying!

It's not just me not looking properly then in the manual then, information on the starter is a bit thin in there.

I thought that you could spin the starter gear backwards through the opening after removing the starter motor just using your finger. If it was stuck solid both ways then it indicated a problem with the sprag gear.

I don't have a flywheel puller so I'm not sure that this job isn't a bit beyond me anyway.

I'm sure the engine will spin, it bump starts ok, I rode back from the Isle of Man via Liverpool to Falmouth at the end of TT week relying on downhill slopes and friendly people!