Does your zxr400 have hot starting problems?

Moderator: Moderators

Do you have hot starting problems with your zxr400?

yes
66%
Nope
34%

Total votes: 198

zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Re: Does your zxr400 have hot starting problems?

Post by zimm »

its a filter

guessing a fuel filter would suffice in a diy conversion.
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

Seeing as this thread has been reserected.

Had a hot start problem the other day - day temp was around 35'c so bike was well warm including me !

Maybe parked up for 30mins before firing it up again and wasn'tt having it so gave it full throttle backed off a few degrees and touched the button and vroom.

Next stop and start no worries.

Had it do it once before when running the F3 Race CDI and again it was a near full throttle cure to get it running.

H2
FCR carbs, no heaters with trumpets
Heat shield
Cool air vents attached
Stick coils
Fresh build with new plugs , thermostat and working thermo sensor in rad , shims adjusted.

Now a little over 1,600 miles done so time to whip the plugs out and see how they are doing - most likely bung in a fresh set. Race CDI incident happened with the coild still on and when the plugs had only done 500 odd miles.

Apart from these two instances no problems starting hot or cold
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
Neosophist
My Bike: VFR400R NC24

Post by Neosophist »

zimm wrote:its a filter

guessing a fuel filter would suffice in a diy conversion.
Ahh... I see :D

Bidding on a set of ZXR carbs at the moment that have all the bits on.. worth a punt for £5.00

Let me know when your about chief and i'll drop you those yokes / switch gear etc off
cameron
My Bike: zxr400 H1

Post by cameron »

No problems when hot, only trouble I have is it takes a while to start if it's been left over around a week without starting and also tends to cut out on idle until its warmed up.
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

cameron wrote:No problems when hot, only trouble I have is it takes a while to start if it's been left over around a week without starting and also tends to cut out on idle until its warmed up.
Carb's needing time to fill up with fuel again most likely but should still catch with choke on.
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
cameron
My Bike: zxr400 H1

Post by cameron »

Sods law after I post that it goes and plays up on me. Stopped at the side of the road to figure out where I was going lol, went to start it back up and didn't want to know, got it started eventually though. Just worrying as it's never done anything like that before.

Oh and when I said I have problems when it's been left a whilte, it just doesn't want to rev for a minute or so. When I first picked the bike up it was a right giraffe to get going but sorted itself out when it was warm. Recently changed the old carb o rings so at least it doesn't flood the carbs now though lol.
Fastforward
My Bike: Zxr400 h1

Post by Fastforward »

No starting problems although with my standard dual plugs i do, always had problems with them even when they were brand new. The basic single electrodes work perfect for me, cr9e i think..not sure. So give them a try if starting problems and let us know :) the ones im using are old aswell
chrisI
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by chrisI »

L1
ngk plugs dont know the number on them
standard air filter
standard needles/carbs etc
standard down pipes micron end can no baffles

pain to start wen hot after ten mins or so fires up

but stalls with lights on at the moment unless its idles at around 4K due to rectifier problem soon to be sorted
chrisI

Post by chrisI »

are the carb heater on uk or imported models???
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

chrisI wrote:are the carb heater on uk or imported models???
well there's a 50/50 chance of getting this wrong......imported?
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
humanoid1989
My Bike: kawasaki zxr400 h

Post by humanoid1989 »

I got a 1989 h model, standard apart from Kent racing cams and Art exhaust.
Mine has cold starting probs- much the same as a few others here have mentioned. It clicks as if the starter motor is doing its stuff but just wont fire. If i open the throttle i can just smell petrol (might be flooding the carbs?), and choke dosent really do the trick.
So, swear a bit and 5 minutes later have another go- and the bugger fires!
Also cant get it into 2nd gear unless the engines running :smt017
Also had the hanging revs and stalling at a junction. It wouldnt start for love nor money, the temperature was in the middle of the guage, it even backfired a couple of times! So i gave up and walked it down the road for 5 minutes. It then fired! giraffe!!

It seems to fire just as i think the battery is gonna die :smt017 . Might be the coils- maybe theyre giving a weak spark?? Sparks seem ok. Battery is tip top.
Im gonna give the upgraded (newer) coil stack thing a go and see if that does the trick.

Now then, when's this toad cold snowy weather gonna bugger off and let me have a go at my bike?? :rant
[color=#FF0000][b][i]"Quit your jibber jabber"[/i][/b][/color]
Daniel.p
My Bike: Zxr400 93

Post by Daniel.p »

Solution!!!!!

Ram air filter
Standard carbs
Scorpion can
Ngk plugs

Everytime i fuel up i lOok like a mug when it dont start BUT if i turn the ignition on and off quickly it starts first time and this always works give it a try guys!
Ride it like you stole it
toecutter

Post by toecutter »

claires race bike is a bstd to start when hot,we have to turn it over with the throttle wide open it'll start to chugg then off it goes but even more wierd is that some times it will start and it will just tick over as happy as larry ,open the throttle and it just sits there ticking over ,nothing no rev rise, nada ,zilch just tickover and thats your lot .
So it has a dyno jet kit stage 1
the pilot jets are standard and standard turns out (set to manual spec )
twin stack race pipe
i have tried three cdi boxes and no change
the heated supply to the carbs is disconected
i wondered if they run lean low down to get through emmisions and when hot the fuel evaporates due to the heat
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Post by Tirpitz »

1994 L4
Everything absolutely standard OEM
Carb heaters

Never had the slightest problem. I did read someone suggest it might be caused by turning off as soon as coming to a stand. I don't think I ever do this, it usually ticks over for a few seconds before being turned off. If that makes a difference.

My bike came with carb heaters and is NOT an import. I bought it new from Carnells in Doncaster, who were a Kawasaki dealer at that time. This was a few years after Kawasaki recalled several models for carb heaters to be fitted to various models retospectively (my GPX250R was done). By the time the L4 came out (and maybe by the time the L came out, period) carb heaters were fitted from the factory to UK bikes.
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock
simonhurst71
My Bike: zxr 400 h1

Post by simonhurst71 »

H1 1989
30,000 ish
plugs & jets ????
ART can
no warmers
great starter from cold but when warm she's a cow.Can bump it and if it cools down for 1/2 hour starts on the button. HELP!!!!!!