Does your zxr400 have hot starting problems?

Moderator: Moderators

Do you have hot starting problems with your zxr400?

yes
66%
Nope
34%

Total votes: 198

fzalfa
My Bike: ZXR 400 H2

Re: Does your zxr400 have hot starting problems?

Post by fzalfa »

i have check , a gasket is present ....

maybe something else can have anormal dilatation ....

this worry me...

Laurent
fzalfa
My Bike: ZXR 400 H2

Post by fzalfa »

worst today than yesterday

today i start it, but , when cold, no fire, else i full accelerate, and i have a poor idle at full throttle.....
weird.....
some minutes later, it give some miisfire and goes... normaly...

i'll clean my carbs tomorow.... surely dirt inside ( the bike have spend many week without run outside, and we had a lot of rain... )

sad but no other way for now....

Laurent
Dazzle
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400 L3

Post by Dazzle »

i took mine out for a run, when i got back i switched off then about 30 secs later i thought i'd try to start it. would turn over but not fire. It smelt of petrol so i decided to check the jets in the carb and it had 102 mains which are way too big for a std bike apart from a can i think so i've ordered some 95's and gonna go from there. I also checked the valves and 8 of them need adjusting so when i get the shims and jets put in i'll post back and say if its any better.
My bike has:
102 mains (soon 95's)
Std air filter
Delkevic Headers
Beowulf Stubby Can
No Carb Heaters
bengone1
My Bike: 1994 ZXR400

Post by bengone1 »

Some are stating that the bike fails to crank or is slow to crank after it is turned off hot. Others are having to give a handful of throttle to start. Both can be explained by leaking carburators. Depending on how much leaking is going on you could lock the engine up or fuel could pool up making it stink rich. By leaving the throttle pinned and cranking it leans out the mess you have sitting in the intake/chamber allowing it to start.

There is also heak soaking of the starter and battery to consider.
extonyg
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr 400 L1 uk

Post by extonyg »

i think that sounds like a good explanation.just out of intrest so i can check on mine coz i am having starting problems at the moment.when you say the carbs are leaking, leaking into were the cylinder?and also where abouts on the carbs would they be leaking from and how would you cure it?
cheers
Dazzle
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Dazzle »

Can it not also be fuel evapourating out the carbs due to heat. I had this problem with my renault 5 turbo, would crank till the bowl was full then fire as the fuel pumps only kick in when the engines cranking over there no priming as such. Just an idea as these engine produce quite alot of heat which is gona rise towards the carbs.
Dazzle
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Dazzle »

Also just to add seems that mine dumps a bit of fuel into the chambers when switched off as it will smell of fuel but when cranked over with full throttle it will splutter a bit then fire. would reving the engine before turning off help? :smt003
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

Dazzle wrote:Can it not also be fuel evapourating out the carbs due to heat. I had this problem with my renault 5 turbo, would crank till the bowl was full then fire as the fuel pumps only kick in when the engines cranking over there no priming as such. Just an idea as these engine produce quite alot of heat which is gona rise towards the carbs.
as far as i am aware this was kawasakis excuse :smt003
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
bengone1
My Bike: 1994 ZXR400

Post by bengone1 »

masterofinsanity wrote:
Dazzle wrote:Can it not also be fuel evapourating out the carbs due to heat. I had this problem with my renault 5 turbo, would crank till the bowl was full then fire as the fuel pumps only kick in when the engines cranking over there no priming as such. Just an idea as these engine produce quite alot of heat which is gona rise towards the carbs.
as far as i am aware this was kawasakis excuse :smt003

Wow that sounds like a load of horse....

I mean fuel leaking past the float needle and overflowing the carb due to hardening of the rubber tip, corrosion inside the bore it slides in, getting the needle stuck, or a slight mis-adjustment of the float level.
Vard66
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Coming soon; hopefully...

Post by Vard66 »

I think... I can now say 'Nope.'

After not being touched since September, until nearly three weeks ago, my ZXR seems to no longer have hot starting problems, and also, somehow has fixed it's own fans, which are now working as they should.

:smt017

:smt001

Win.
Vard.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

after being stood since september mate i can honestly say it will be cold :smt003
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
Vard66
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Coming soon; hopefully...

Post by Vard66 »

:ffs

What you did there, I saw it.
Vard.
My Bike: 1989 zxr 400 streetfighte

Post by bogs »

also have hot starting problem. ill let it warm up for 3-5 mins with out even riding it .switch off leave 1min and wont start at all unless bumped or left for 5mins. bit embarasing when got to go fill up with petrol.
400_Fan
My Bike: ZXR400 L6

Post by 400_Fan »

No problems

zxr400l 1996 import
K&N air filter
NGK Standard??
Stainless Steel Micron

A trick I've learned on my Jap import is turn it off by the key (if you've used the kill switch to kill engine) as this'll turn the headlight off (less battery strain for starting), then turn it on, hit and hold the starter button for 3-4 secs with no throttle then give it quick blips of throttle til you hear it fire and away you go!
Neosophist
My Bike: VFR400R NC24

Re:

Post by Neosophist »

RedexRobB wrote:Can we start listing if you have carb heaters? Or if you have already posted edit your post. Youll know carb heaters as there will be a tube that links from the pipe by the genny cover upto the carbs and then out the other side and back into the engine block.

looks like this, see the green bottle type thing? Thats the tube thats routes coolant to the carbs to heat them up.

Wow 30mm carbs :D

What is the 'green bottle' thingey for? One way valve? Can't see it in the parts fiche..